You Never Forget Your First Time - Cast your vote here! www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

You Never Forget Your First Time - Cast your vote here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Coins for Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  

You Never Forget Your First Time - Appropriate for gc.com or not?
It's totally inappropriate
48%
 48%  [ 27 ]
It's fine with me
14%
 14%  [ 8 ]
Who cares?
37%
 37%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 56

ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: You Never Forget Your First Time - Cast your vote here! Reply with quote

So Hula Bum kicked off a hot topic today. I intimated on the thread that there was "another place" where a poll could be conducted and people could vote anonymously about whether or not they think the coin is appropriate or inappropriate for gc.com.

Since the coin is for sale (unless they've sold out by now) I decided to put the topic here.
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught that subtle invite to come here! LOL
ATMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to laugh when TeamJsam kept denying and denying and finally said "Yes,it was intended the way you are seeing it."

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
Theotokos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will vote inappropriate but unfortunately, the attention given this coin has done what I had hoped wouldn't happen. I was waiting for this coin to just fade into the sunset but it has new life. Sad
ATMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theotokos wrote:
Well, I will vote inappropriate but unfortunately, the attention given this coin has done what I had hoped wouldn't happen. I was waiting for this coin to just fade into the sunset but it has new life. Sad

And it's UGLY!

I mean, really, really ugly. I keep looking at the front side and part of my brain keeps trying to make sense of it.

And the other...it reminds me of an unabridged dictionary I once got from a book sale at a middle school library. Every word having to do with reproduction was underlined. Fer gosh sakes- seventh graders!

Theotokos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATMouse wrote:

And it's UGLY!

I mean, really, really ugly. I keep looking at the front side and part of my brain keeps trying to make sense of it.

And the other...it reminds me of an unabridged dictionary I once got from a book sale at a middle school library. Every word having to do with reproduction was underlined. Fer gosh sakes- seventh graders!

That is the truth. I saw the DNF Troll listed too. Did they make that one? I've always thought that was the ugliest coin I have ever seen. I'm not a fan of any of their designs but these two are just sooo bad.
ladybee4t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATMouse wrote:
I just had to laugh when TeamJsam kept denying and denying and finally said "Yes,it was intended the way you are seeing it."

Can you point me to that post number? I was one of the ones that emailed Bryan at gorundspeak. He told me that the make deined that that was ever the intention and I would like to show it to Bryan.
moscow32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encourage anyone who feels that the coin is inappropriate to email Bryan(at)groundspeak(dot)com. Let him know what you think. He's willing to listen and can hopefully kill this thing deader than a doornail. He has said that with the name change and the icon change, he doesn't think anyone will be offended by it. But a few more emails might change his mind on this one.
Theotokos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moscow32 wrote:
I encourage anyone who feels that the coin is inappropriate to email Bryan(at)groundspeak(dot)com. Let him know what you think. He's willing to listen and can hopefully kill this thing deader than a doornail. He has said that with the name change and the icon change, he doesn't think anyone will be offended by it. But a few more emails might change his mind on this one.

While I'm all for sending a note to Bryan I wonder what it could accomplish in this situation? He may change his mind but can he take the tracking numbers away now that (apparently) so many of the coins have been sold? Maybe they can but the potential backlash is probably more than they would be willing to bare.

I still do think it is important to let him know our thoughts so that they will think harder about these things in the future.
007BigD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay I voted...Guess what I voted????? You Got It~BRING ON THAT BAD MUTHA!!! Shocked

Just kiddin...
I thought logically on this one. Do I THINK it is acceptable for GC.com- NO, even though I still think its hard enough to see, it was intentionally created to represent what it does. That makes it not appropriate...PERIOD Shocked ~ Laughing
Still does not offend me and I still think it was a clever idea that was done well despite it being so dang ugly!!! Do I want one?- Kinda. Will I buy one?- Maybe one, and thats a Maybe! in all reality probably not Laughing

Will it be on my Hearts desire???...Has been since I was 15!!! Shocked Laughing ~ Kay, sorry bout that one! Embarassed ~ Very Happy
geo.error

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but i saw nothing , i looked and looked and looked. Shocked

I think it has something to do with your first boy/girl friend. Wink

But i have no clue. Rolling Eyes

But if it offend coiners don/t bring it out. Twisted Evil
ATMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladybee4t wrote:
ATMouse wrote:

Can you point me to that post number? I was one of the ones that emailed Bryan at gorundspeak. He told me that the make deined that that was ever the intention and I would like to show it to Bryan.

I went back and looked, but he did an edit to either clarify what he said to get it 1) closer to what he meant OR 2) pull the stark admission "yeah, that's right, it was deliberate, but I changed the icon and name" to modify it to something more acceptable.

southpawaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can count me in the who cares category. After I took one look at the unattractive front side, I was ready to not ever think about the coin again.
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't even done samples of this coin. I'm betting they had no money invested in the coin. If they have already purchased tracking numbers, then they could be used on another coin.

The pre-sales are still open, and they probably won't give it to the mint until pre-sales close.

If approval of this coin was pulled before the pre-sale closed, teamJsam would not be out any money. If they go into production, then that is where they lose money.
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody please tell me, what design you're talking about???

I didn't find a thread in the blue forum about that coin....

*help my curiosity*

Regards, ElliPirelli
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you look in the design section of this forum, and the topic titled "How Did this get past Groundspeak" There is a long discussion of the coin. On the other forum, I believe the topic is titled "It is Trackable, but is it Appropriate?"
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MustangJoni wrote:
Actually, if you look in the design section of this forum, and the topic titled "How Did this get past Groundspeak" There is a long discussion of the coin. On the other forum, I believe the topic is titled "It is Trackable, but is it Appropriate?"

Thanks for the enlightening.... Laughing

Still I don't understand the excitement, the adults read a different meaning into it, the kids won't get it at all!

But as the coin holds no appeal for me, I'm not interested in buying...

I voted who cares, just for the record....

Regards, ElliPirelli
Ljay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i first saw it i thought it was childish wordplay with bad art (IMO).

i wouldn't know what a cherry leaf looks like, here in scotland as long as you can id the nettles you are safe (unless you have allergies) so my botany is basic to B****R all.
When i looked at it a second time i could see all the different things that had been observed and a couple that hadn't been mentioned at that time (yes my mind is in the gutter but that's what happens to a girl when she is single).
What irked me more and made me not want to buy it wasn't the appropriatness of the design for the family sport but the fact that the art, compaired to everything else that is being touted at the moment, is of a poor standard. maybe it will look better when produced but at the moment it just looks basic!
Sorry if i have offended anyone by my comments but i come here cos i can say what i want!!

Ljay Very Happy
Kvphoto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATMouse wrote:

Really? I stopped reading that thread after awhile, it got redundant. So it was intended that way after all go figure.
PengoFamily

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that I realized too. When submitting a geocoin design for approval from GS I don't think the name of the coin has to be determined at that point and neither does the icon. I could be wrong but when I have worked with Oakcoins sometimes the name is finalized during production and the icon sometimes afetrwards.

So when this particular design was submitted let's say for Bryan's approval he could have just had the artwork...no name...no icon. Seeing the artwork without the title 'you never forget your first' and without the cherry icon would seem really harmless. It's only when you piece the 3 together do you see the inuendo. I am not saying that is right. But it could explain a lot too.

I just find it hard to believe that naming the coin as such and having the cherry icon that there was nothing intended by it.
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PengoFamily wrote:
So when this particular design was submitted let's say for Bryan's approval he could have just had the artwork...no name...no icon. Seeing the artwork without the title 'you never forget your first' and without the cherry icon would seem really harmless. It's only when you piece the 3 together do you see the inuendo. I am not saying that is right. But it could explain a lot too.

The cherry icon changed I believe...

Still it's written on the coin "You never forget your first", so at least two out of three were known.

But I must say, that I didn't spot anything with inuendo even with the background of the forum... I had to stare at it several minutes... Maybe I'm just to stupid... Laughing
In my eyes it's still a second class design with an inuendo only understood by adults. Children and even adolescents probably won't see what the fuss is about...

I wouldn't get it, it's not something I'd like in my collection.

Regards, ElliPirelli
RifleMan81

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes for who cares.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Coins for Sale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse