Do-it-Yourself Polymer Clay Geocoins www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Do-it-Yourself Polymer Clay Geocoins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Signature Items
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Do-it-Yourself Polymer Clay Geocoins Reply with quote

Here is a page I just found Smile

http://www.graphixoutpost.com/geocoins.html
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Do-it-Yourself Polymer Clay Geocoins Reply with quote

The Wolf Pack wrote:
Here is a page I just found Smile

http://www.graphixoutpost.com/geocoins.html

thanks!

lara
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, there's some great tips in there! Very Happy
thirstymick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that! I carved a design last week into the speedball material and bought some sculpey clay and some fimo to experiment but I read somewhere that you should spray the carving with cornstarch so it doesn't stick. I haven't gotten to the store to buy any yet..

Does anyone have experience using or not using cornstarch? Is it neccessary? Thanks!
tadpole379

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make clay tadpoles out of fimo. I use a stamp that I carved from a pink eraser to stamp the design into the clay. I usually use regular flour on the stamp or the clay sticks to it and it messes up the design. Corn starch would probably work as well as flour. Laughing
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just like if you were baking you need something whatever it is you may use...if you were making a cake you dust lightly with flour..If your making biscuts you dip your cutter in flour and so on....
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tadpole379 wrote:
I make clay tadpoles out of fimo. I use a stamp that I carved from a pink eraser to stamp the design into the clay. I usually use regular flour on the stamp or the clay sticks to it and it messes up the design. Corn starch would probably work as well as flour. Laughing

Corn starch is far superior to flour actually. It's finer, more absorbant and cleans away better. It's what they use in all the candy and chocolate industries for molding work and you know how sticky that stuff can be Wink

Last edited by fox-and-the-hound on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
thirstymick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
tadpole379 wrote:

Corn starch is far superior to flour actually. It's finer, more absorbant and cleans away better. It's what they use in all the candy and chocolate industries for molding work and you know how stick that stuff can be Wink

cool, I'll have to get to a supermarket then! Thanks Smile
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link I just found when I googled corn starch and clay molding with some helpful hints:

http://www.angelslanding.com/pushmolds/faq2.html
Kvphoto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Oh this is so cool! I have been trying to figure out making a signature item for MissV and I. Have to dif out my linoleum knifes and get carving lol
I smell a trip to Michael's in my future!!
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another do it yourself site Smile

http://home.alltel.net/vjedlicka/
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirstymick wrote:
Thanks for posting that! I carved a design last week into the speedball material and bought some sculpey clay and some fimo to experiment but I read somewhere that you should spray the carving with cornstarch so it doesn't stick. I haven't gotten to the store to buy any yet..

Does anyone have experience using or not using cornstarch? Is it neccessary? Thanks!

i use baby powder or embossing powder.

rsg
Shop99er

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1/2 cup of water and a drop of liquid dish soap.

My mold for the Shop99er Moai signature item is made of Fimo and so is the signature item. With the water/soap release the two pieces of clay do not stick to each other and it's easy to press out excess water from the mold with the next casting.

TTUMS
Shop99er

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1/2 cup of water and a drop of liquid dish soap.

My mold for the Shop99er Moai signature item is made of Fimo and so is the signature item. With the water/soap release the two pieces of clay do not stick to each other and it's easy to press out excess water from the mold with the next casting.

TTUMS
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirstymick wrote:

Spray starch? You mean like the stuff for ironing your clothes? That's a great idea for getting an even coat! Has anyone tried PAM or some other cooking spray?
thirstymick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
thirstymick wrote:

Spray starch? You mean like the stuff for ironing your clothes? That's a great idea for getting an even coat! Has anyone tried PAM or some other cooking spray?

hehe, so I'll admit this was the first time I've used cornstarch for anything Embarassed okay, the first time i've even actually seen cornstarch Embarassed I was hoping it came in a spray can but probably went shopping in the wrong section of the supermarket b/c all i could find was a box of powder Laughing I did eyeball the PAM, but decided against it...

It worked alright.. I don't think I needed it for making the mold (I carved the design in speedball material and then cast a mold from sculpey clay) actually, I needed to take a knife and dig the starch out of the details so that it would make an impression.. but those two materials didnt stick together too badly... the clay to clay on the other hand... the starch was very neccessary

I only made 1 b/c I was hoping to be able to order more clay somewhere online for cheaper than the store. I'll post a picture when I buy some sandpaper to clean up excess paint, I filled in the depressions messily Smile thanks for the tips!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Signature Items All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse