I've always wondered about this... www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

I've always wondered about this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: I've always wondered about this... Reply with quote

How many mints are there in China?

I've heard that there are dozens and I've also heard there are only a couple. Can anyone tell me more about the mints and why some are better to work with than others?
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told there are dozens, but 90% of every coin-related uses the same big 3.
maldar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:

There are dozens. Currently I'm working with my first mint on my first coin, but I may look elsewhere. The reason I'm thinking of trying elsewhere is that I hope the communication will be better and to have more variety in the services. While I have had a good experience thus far with my current mint I don't what to get stuck in one relationship. I'm only going to try out new mints with my own coins. What I'm aiming at doing is to start yet another minting service.

Yes, Yes. I know there are many already, but I want to try to get the prices for coins down, thus the reason I'm doing everything on my first coin myself.

If anyone has a good name for a business, please tell me as I'm still struggling to think of one.

maldar
coreynjoey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the same thing, around a dozen mints, but they're all connected to 2 or 3 main mints.

When you go directly thru the mint, which one do you use? I've heard of Bonjet, but not any others.
Castle Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many minting companies however many are extremely small. There are three corporations that own a number of sub-divisions. I laugh when some people ask if This mint is better than This one. They usually are asking about the same company. Some of the companies people think are mints are nothing more than ordering and shipping centers. Some are sub-divisions that handle the companies stitching department.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
There are many minting companies however many are extremely small. There are three corporations that own a number of sub-divisions. I laugh when some people ask if This mint is better than This one. They usually are asking about the same company. Some of the companies people think are mints are nothing more than ordering and shipping centers. Some are sub-divisions that handle the companies stitching department.

Ah...so that explains why I had heard both versions of the story. Thanks CM!
Shop99er

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who are the 3 major minters?
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldar wrote:
fox-and-the-hound wrote:

There are dozens. Currently I'm working with my first mint on my first coin, but I may look elsewhere. The reason I'm thinking of trying elsewhere is that I hope the communication will be better and to have more variety in the services. While I have had a good experience thus far with my current mint I don't what to get stuck in one relationship. I'm only going to try out new mints with my own coins. What I'm aiming at doing is to start yet another minting service.

Yes, Yes. I know there are many already, but I want to try to get the prices for coins down, thus the reason I'm doing everything on my first coin myself.

If anyone has a good name for a business, please tell me as I'm still struggling to think of one.

maldar

i could go into a lot of rhetoric about why the current econmic situation is rather bleak looking, but i won't. how about starting an american mint?

just a thought,

rsg
The Moop Along

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:

i could go into a lot of rhetoric about why the current econmic situation is rather bleak looking, but i won't. how about starting an american mint?

just a thought,

rsg

Who says there are no American mints? Rolling Eyes It's a matter of cost. There are three American mints that jump to mind, although I couldn't tell you the exact name of them. One in Alaska, one in Washington State, and one in the Plains if I remember right.

Example, the Alaska coins are all made at the Alaska mint. They have no enamel, basic (although beautiful) die work, and easy strikes. Yet, they are always around $10. Chinese coins with multi layers, lots of enamel work, fancy dies, 3D, shipping fees, customs fees still come to us at reputable stores for $7-$8.

I don't pretend to know what it would cost at American mints, but I'll wager it's significantly more. I love to support the Alaska mint, and will continue to do so Wink

TMA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse