Is it time for a new medium? www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Is it time for a new medium?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Is it time for a new medium? Reply with quote

So I'm looking at the history of bugs and coins and realize that there hasn't been a significant new medium introduced in a few years. We had the TB tags, then the coins and lately a lot of gadgety type coins. So what's next? Seriously think about it. What would make a good travelbug type item that is 1) Personalized 2) A widespread Medium and 3) shows significant Evolution of the idea? I could design coins for another 20 years and be completely happy, but is there room for improvement? What would you add to the ability of a TB from a caching perspective?

Strengths of Coins/TBs:
1) Tangible and Durable
2) Trackable
3) Personalized and Commercial available
4) Relatively inexpensive (usually)
5) Demand from a collectors standpoint
6) Icon on your stats

Weakness of Coins/TBs:
1) Theft
2) Misunderstood and often taken as trade items
3) Rising costs of production
4) Losing focus on their original intent?
5) Loss in translation from design to full production equals time lost.
6) Same icon for every TB

What would you add to these lists? What would solve some of these problems?

The only significant change I've noted in coin evolution are the Tags (various) and their single die cost advantage. Add that some are trackable or can be added to a trackable host is a nice incentive, but in a perfect world what would you change? Question
Castle Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a superior question and will take some very deep thought to think of some answers. This type of brain storming is needed now too and the best inventions are always those that come from this method. Let the storm begin.
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be an interesting discussion.

As far as I'm concerned, you gentlemen are both major forerunners in the coin industry, so seeing what you come up with is both interesting, and quite frankly, exciting!

Go get em, boys!

Naomi Smile
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now have trackable items.

HWS came out with a trackable Signal figurine. CH Quality has the GeoGems. I've also seen trackable patches.

I think that is just the start of a new wave of trackable things! It has definitely given me a few ideas!
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MustangJoni wrote:
We now have trackable items.

HWS came out with a trackable Signal figurine. CH Quality has the GeoGems. I've also seen trackable patches.

I think that is just the start of a new wave of trackable things! It has definitely given me a few ideas!

Don't forget the trackable Garmin Colorado.
But who would leave that in a cache as a traveler?

I have a Cacher Coin attached to my GPSr, so thats trackable enough for me... Very Happy

So brainstorm away.
Theotokos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about trackable trading cards?
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theotokos wrote:
How about trackable trading cards?

New laser printing techniques along with bar code technology and printable plastics could go a long way with this idea.

The incredibly low cost of anodized aluminum opens up some real possibilities as well.

What about engravable trail/waypoint markers made from aluminum or plastics that could be field produced for multi-stage caches or puzzle caches?

I saw recently a superiorly constructed signature item of laser engraved plexiglass. Practically glowed when even the slightest light was shown on it.

The relatively low cost and long life of LEDs could be interesting as well. Think the Bourne Identity where a small signature items projects waypoints or secret messages.

just rambling thoughts tonight while I'm working...
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about some kind of host carrier for a coin that's interactive in some way? An aluminum frame that could be engraved by those who discover it?
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Find this topic very interesting.
Travel bugs are what they are , nice ,common not really worth stealing by them selves . Once you had one , what would be the point. its what is attached to them that draws attention. But all in all a great travel item. ,
Coin were in the beginning very simple Team name , maybe a logo and goundspeak emblem on the back You had a coin. But over the last few year s Wow things that move and light up hinges and even ones that can be used for navigation, And the art involved on some are amazing, But i think the one thing that a coin has that is its greatest feature as well as being its greatest disadvantage as a trackable. Is it is a coin. Man has always and will probably always be drawn to shiny pieces of metal. Look at any kid under 10 ooooh shiny rock into the pocket. We as coin addicts Are no better. New shiny Incredible coins Will always be that even as the price goes up I think coins may change with less being released but nothing can replace them in our souls.
The card idea or etchablle plastic or tin , Or what ever Would Probably be great as a new medium for art and Expresstion And could even become great collectibles But a great collectible does not make a good traveler.
Frozen Buns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
What about some kind of host carrier for a coin that's interactive in some way? An aluminum frame that could be engraved by those who discover it?

I love this idea, it could have a metal stylus to engravet heir name and eventually come back to me, this is way better than a key tag TB, means alot more and less chance of disappearing if they are personally involved with the item.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse