Does it qualify as a coin? www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Does it qualify as a coin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Does it qualify as a coin? Reply with quote

A recent forum talking about the technique of printing imagery on a coin has prompted some thought for me. I don't believe a metal disk that is printed with imagery is actually a coin by definition. A coin is defined as a medium (normally metal) that is struck by a die or poured into a die to leave a standard imprint in a solid material. So I don't believe these really qualify as coins. Signature disks, sure, but not "coins".

Am I wrong? Am I misinterpreting? If it isn't struck/poured/minted then how is it any different from the pokerchip sig items or wooden nickels? Any thoughts?
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree unless one side is stuck I think the 3rd moun10bike coin Was picture on one side and stuck on the other. Everyone seems too have a tough time calling path tags coins Even the trackable one. I remember the drama about which forum it could be discussed in.
Kismet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call it a coin,,, heck, I call "soda" pop too.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geocachingdragon wrote:
I would agree unless one side is stuck I think the 3rd moun10bike coin Was picture on one side and stuck on the other. Everyone seems too have a tough time calling path tags coins Even the trackable one. I remember the drama about which forum it could be discussed in.

MBv3 was definitely struck on both sides as well as having been printed on one side similar to several others. I'm eluding to things more like lazer engraved aluminum disks and such. Think of an anodized aluminum disk that is laser engraved with a profile name/logo/etc. If a tracking number were added would you consider it a geocoin or just a trackable sig? What defines "coin" for you?
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would not be a coin. A fancy travel bug...
Trackable signature item. ..
If it isn't struck/poured/minted then it isnt a coin or a geocoin just a fancy round disk. For some people its hard to get them to call micro coins geocoins They are not usually traded as geocoins Most i think would only trade micro for micro. But this is probally a different topic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse