Email notification at gc.com www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Email notification at gc.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Email notification at gc.com Reply with quote

Hello all~

I saw a thread on the other board about this and also posted there (after reading The Klever Boys' post). It seems like the email notification I am supposed to be getting whenever someone logs my coins/TBs isn't always happening.

A few times just this past week, I've noticed this happening.

If you all watch the movement of your trackables as closely as I do, you may want to do some investigating and alert TPTB (them again) that you are also having problems.

It makes me nervous to think my trackables are moving and I don't know about it. Neutral
mundoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I was checking a TB I released yesterday and noticed one of my other TB's wasn't where I thought it was (in the hands of someone) and when I looked at its log I saw that it had been dropped into a TB Hotel that I never received an email about.
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If trackables or caches are WAP logged you will not receive notification emails. The topic is more fully covered here http://geocoins.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=22
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand about WAP logging now. But I honestly don't think that very many people WAP log. I could - of course - be wrong.

I went through all of my trackables last night. About a half dozen had one or more logs that I never received.

I think others are finding the same thing. I didn't do a search on WAP logging on the big site but I've never seen it discussed openly. So unless the word is getting out via local caching organizations or at events, why this sudden surge?

I tend to think it's a computer glitch. Isn't gc.com rolling out some new system this week?
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a trend now for people to WAP log via their handheld/pocket pc's. It can be done then and there at the cache site, saves having to remember what you took from where and the job's done, although log entries do tend to be briefer as a result.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just did a search over there and I can see that a lot more people know about it than I had previously thought. And being vacation season in the US, perhaps that is indeed what is happening.

Guess I'll have to watch my TBs a little more closely instead of relying on the notification emails.
dhenninger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i collected a bunch of my missing coins from caches, and got no email of the logs. I did not use WAP. I picked them up from caches using a normal retreieve log. Hmmm
southpawaz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is something not working right. I just had one of my coins dipped today by someone who has it along for a ride, and I got an email for the retrieval but not for the drop, both by the same cacher.
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the German geoclub.de they're reporting the same thing, I din't notice anything yet, got lots of emails for coin moves.

But there it also appeared not to be linked to logging with WAP, as one logged his CacheCounter Coin in and out and didn't get any mails. And he used a normal PC, not mobil WAP.

Seems there working on something again. Maybe these mails are just delayed and we get them tomorrow...

Regards, ElliPirelli
usyoopers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a couple visits to caches of ours that we didn't get notification of...must be some kind of glitch going on.
Tooey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is just cache log notifications that go missing, emails sent through profiles and pm's don't always seem to arrive at their destination either.
Whistler & Co.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people in my area (Pennsylvania) have complained about not receiving any notifications (found it logs, TB/coin logs, new cache notifications, archive notifications, etc) over the past couple of weeks. I am only getting about half of my new cache notifications, and it is very irritating. This has been a sporadic problem for me and for others for several months now. It seems to happen for a week or two, then all is well for a couple of months, then the system messes up again. I have complained on the gc.com forum (as have others) any never receive a clear answer or solution. Grrrrr! Mad
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistler & Co. wrote:
Many people in my area (Pennsylvania) have complained about not receiving any notifications (found it logs, TB/coin logs, new cache notifications, archive notifications, etc) over the past couple of weeks. I am only getting about half of my new cache notifications, and it is very irritating. This has been a sporadic problem for me and for others for several months now. It seems to happen for a week or two, then all is well for a couple of months, then the system messes up again. I have complained on the gc.com forum (as have others) any never receive a clear answer or solution. Grrrrr! Mad

Maybe it's because we're in the Mid-Atlantic now? Razz Laughing
Whistler & Co.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That old Anti-Mid-Atlantic sentiment must have kicked in yet again.... Shocked
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still happening. I checked my travelers today and found about a half dozen that had been dropped and I never got notification.

I don't think this has anything to do with the update on the site. This started long before all of that. And now it seems like no one is even addressing it - at least not that I can find.

What is the fun of having travelers when you don't get to live vicariously through them? Sad
geo.error

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my e-mails also not. Sad

I think geocaching has it now busy with the holidays. Wink

Look at your trackable side and you see , if your geocoins are moved in a cache or got a new owner. Shocked

this is more fun and if you klick on your coins side you see if you get any pictures and that is al lot more fun. Very Happy
Whistler & Co.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am finding most irritating about the whole "not getting notifications" thing is that the farther away a new cache is from my home coordinates, the MORE likely I am to get an email about it. Yet in the past couple of days, two new caches were published close to home (in our cache-deprived area, a true miracle), and I did NOT get the emails about them. Blah.

On another note, a local cacher emailed me complaining that his cache was still in the review queue after 9 days. I suggested he go to look at the cache page and see if there was a reviewer note. Sure enough, there was. A simple email to the revewer resolved the issue and the cache was published in a couple of hours. The CO never got an email with the reviewer's question, so the cache just sat there for days, unpublished!

As mentioned above, there really does not seem to be any attempt to remedy the situation at Groundspeak, and it's not even being mentioned on the gc.com forums (that I noticed).
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistler & Co. wrote:
As mentioned above, there really does not seem to be any attempt to remedy the situation at Groundspeak, and it's not even being mentioned on the gc.com forums (that I noticed).

Actually I did find one thread where TPTB were saying it was due to people's AVS and that we all needed to adjust our AVS. I don't believe it though because my AVS never changed - I used to get these notifications but now I don't - sounds like others have the problem - so it must be a problem on THEIR end.

And for me, it seems to be the drops of travelers - not the discoveries or the retrievals. I do wish there would be some better communication about whether or not they are even checking into the problem. Mad
Whistler & Co.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePetersTrio wrote:

Actually I did find one thread where TPTB were saying it was due to people's AVS and that we all needed to adjust our AVS. I don't believe it though because my AVS never changed - I used to get these notifications but now I don't - sounds like others have the problem - so it must be a problem on THEIR end.

What is/are AVS?

Nothing on my end has changed either. Also, as I do every few months when this problem occurs, I have done everything to try to ensure the messages will get through. I have checked my notification parameters on the geocaching website, I have made sure gc.com is on my "always allow" list for my email, and I check the spam folder regularly to see if the emails are going there. It's odd that some notifications are getting through, while others of exactly the same kind are not.
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistler & Co. wrote:
It's odd that some notifications are getting through, while others of exactly the same kind are not.

The question is: Where do they go.
Definitely not in my spam folder...
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVS - Antivirus ?System ?Setting ?Software

I'm not 100 percent sure I got that acronym right but it's the anti-virus system most of us have on our computers.
Whistler & Co.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePetersTrio wrote:
AVS - Antivirus ?System ?Setting ?Software

I'm not 100 percent sure I got that acronym right but it's the anti-virus system most of us have on our computers.

Oh, duh! Well, mine updates all the time, but since I do not use Outlook to access my email and access it through my email provider's site, MY AVS (or AVS's?) shouldn't matter. Or so I would think. I never seem to have problems with other emails regardless of who they are from or what attachments they have, just the stuff from Groundspeak.
southpawaz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePetersTrio wrote:
Whistler & Co. wrote:

And for me, it seems to be the drops of travelers - not the discoveries or the retrievals. I do wish there would be some better communication about whether or not they are even checking into the problem. Mad

I don't think it's the anti virus because I don't run any (+1 for Macs) and I'm not getting notifications, specifically for drops. I think it may be limited to owned items, not watchlist items, because I have Tsun's challenge turtles on my watchlist and did get drops for those when ClanDoyle was dipping them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse