The Spun Pewter Process www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

The Spun Pewter Process

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: The Spun Pewter Process Reply with quote

What is it?

Who does it?

What's great about it?

How much does it cost (compared to other metals)?

Please share your answers with those of us who want to know. Cool

[edit] typo and how great is it that we can edit our own subject titles?? Wink
ATMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Spun Pewter Process Reply with quote

ThePetersTrio wrote:
What is it?

Who does it?

What's great about it?

How much does it cost (compared to other metals)?

Please share your answers with those of us who want to know. Cool

[edit] typo and how great is it that we can edit our own subject titles?? Wink

I'm loving this!
<paw in air> And is it expensive to make pewter? As apposed to other metals?

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
BVnLJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some explanations I got from Georgia on the different processes of minting a coin. As far as price, I'm not much help there... because of it's size, minting only 50 of each metal with two-tone and the epoxy coating, our coin price was high. With that being said, the spun pewter was about $180 more than the stamped.

"""The main difference is the zinc and pewter are "liquid" metals that are 'poured' into molds and then they spin the mold, the metal fills into the detailed areas of the engraved mold. With the stamped or die struck brass/bronze process, the engraver engraves the mold/die and then the design is "stamped" into the metal. When a coin design is full 3D front and back with angles like the angels wings, it sometimes needs more "depth" or "thickness" to achieve the overall look and this is why the "spin cast" method is used, you can create a full 3 dimentional item with this process....like the Salamander example.

With the die struck process, 4mm is the maximum thickness that can be used.

So to answer your questions:

Pewter has great detail but contains lead and dings. (Would epoxy coating take care of those problems? how much would that be?)

I hear the remark alot about pewter being a "soft" metal and denting easy, but I'm not 100% sure that is totally accurate, the Salamander coin didn't seem to fragile to me, I think that "unfinished" pewter may ding easier than pewter that has been "plated". I can ask about epoxy coating over the pewter and see if it's needed or not.

Zinc alloy had good detail but is very light weight. (cheap feeling?)
In some cases the zinc alloy can be very light weight. The Cache-Aid Kits were done in Zinc so we could use the hinges. Our new Pocket Decoders (YES...they really are coming) are done in Zinc and they are very heavy and I think most folks wouldn't really know what the difference is. Again, there are only so many options available with the die struck process, once you start getting more creative you have to use the different process' like spin casting. Most of the "suncatcher" coins are done in zinc alloy.

Is stamped bronze and stamped brass the same thing and how is the detail?
Yes, they are the same. It's the base metal they start with, it might be brass, bronze, or copper. Then they once they "plate" it looks either silver, gold, copper, black nickel or antique. The detail is great and most coins are done with this process but the process limits what can be achieved design wise. No hinges, moving parts, etc. ""'
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVnLJ,

Is it you that made the angel baby coin?

If it is, I sent you an email through ebay about it!

It's stunning, and it really hit home for me!

N Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse