Traveling Coin Proxies.  What if... www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Refi

Bookmark this site!
Traveling Coin Proxies. What if...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fox-and-the-hound



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 241
Location: Northeast PA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
Here's something I am making now. I will be able to offer these for your activated coins for $1.49 each. This includes engraved tracking numbers. The idea is for your activated coins instead of taking the risk of losing them in the first or second cache. Put the tracking number on one of these Mystery travel dog tags and send it out in the world. If these get lost of stolen you still have your coin home safe with you and you can replace them for just $1.49.......BINGO



It's a great idea and everything we talked about except it's not a coin the way I imagined. Any chance you can do a round coin version, too using the same methods? I'd love to see a round coin version for coins and a dog tag version to replace missing TB tags.
_________________
The harder the task, the greater the reward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Castle Man



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
Castle Man wrote:
Here's something I am making now. I will be able to offer these for your activated coins for $1.49 each. This includes engraved tracking numbers. The idea is for your activated coins instead of taking the risk of losing them in the first or second cache. Put the tracking number on one of these Mystery travel dog tags and send it out in the world. If these get lost of stolen you still have your coin home safe with you and you can replace them for just $1.49.......BINGO



It's a great idea and everything we talked about except it's not a coin the way I imagined. Any chance you can do a round coin version, too using the same methods? I'd love to see a round coin version for coins and a dog tag version to replace missing TB tags.


That could also be easy too. I went with this dog tag version first just simply because most newbies recognize the travel bug and i thought it might give more success in keeping them moving
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fox-and-the-hound



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 241
Location: Northeast PA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
fox-and-the-hound wrote:
Castle Man wrote:
Here's something I am making now. I will be able to offer these for your activated coins for $1.49 each. This includes engraved tracking numbers. The idea is for your activated coins instead of taking the risk of losing them in the first or second cache. Put the tracking number on one of these Mystery travel dog tags and send it out in the world. If these get lost of stolen you still have your coin home safe with you and you can replace them for just $1.49.......BINGO



It's a great idea and everything we talked about except it's not a coin the way I imagined. Any chance you can do a round coin version, too using the same methods? I'd love to see a round coin version for coins and a dog tag version to replace missing TB tags.


That could also be easy too. I went with this dog tag version first just simply because most newbies recognize the travel bug and i thought it might give more success in keeping them moving


Cool Cool So how soon will these be available? Have a couple long-gone coins I'd like to try out with something like this Smile
_________________
The harder the task, the greater the reward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Castle Man



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
Castle Man wrote:
fox-and-the-hound wrote:
Castle Man wrote:
Here's something I am making now. I will be able to offer these for your activated coins for $1.49 each. This includes engraved tracking numbers. The idea is for your activated coins instead of taking the risk of losing them in the first or second cache. Put the tracking number on one of these Mystery travel dog tags and send it out in the world. If these get lost of stolen you still have your coin home safe with you and you can replace them for just $1.49.......BINGO



It's a great idea and everything we talked about except it's not a coin the way I imagined. Any chance you can do a round coin version, too using the same methods? I'd love to see a round coin version for coins and a dog tag version to replace missing TB tags.


That could also be easy too. I went with this dog tag version first just simply because most newbies recognize the travel bug and i thought it might give more success in keeping them moving


Cool Cool So how soon will these be available? Have a couple long-gone coins I'd like to try out with something like this Smile


These should arrive at the end of the month
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whitby



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 37
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
Here's something I am making now. I will be able to offer these for your activated coins for $1.49 each. This includes engraved tracking numbers. The idea is for your activated coins instead of taking the risk of losing them in the first or second cache. Put the tracking number on one of these Mystery travel dog tags and send it out in the world. If these get lost of stolen you still have your coin home safe with you and you can replace them for just $1.49.......BINGO


I don't know if I like that. I just imagine me at a cache and finding one of those tags instead of a coin. Of course it is a good way to not loose the coin. But the individual character of a coin is lost. One thing I like is that they are so different! Copies at least show the image of the coin. So the only thing I can imagine doing is attaching the tag to a copy.
_________________
My Trader List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
007BigD



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Location: Currently Laytonville...Movin home though!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about releasing tag-like objects with the tracking numbers on them, but its really not even a Proxy then. Id say better off for lost TBs.
I kinda got lost inbetween F&H's quality proxys and CMs tags, so will the tags have pics on them???

I like the idea, as its an easy and cheap resort to owning a butt-load of lost coins! Im just afraid people wont dig goin after what was supposed to be a coin and turned out to be a tag, although it'll travel! Very Happy
_________________
Ha FSM...Delete this!!!!~ Watcha got now!!!! Smile


Last edited by 007BigD on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaFunkyFrogs



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 135
Location: Hooterville, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyya 007, the tag has a question mark on it, it's like a mystery tag...on the reverse side is a tracking #...when ya enter the #, ya find out what coin ya have discovered..... .
_________________
"If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
007BigD



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Location: Currently Laytonville...Movin home though!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay...nobody steal my idea~ Shocked

What I was hoping to do when I figured all the print/photo stuff was create a Coin Resurrection cache.

Where after a coin has been lost for at least 6 months, cachers could submit their lost coin for resurrection. I would create a card (possibly shaped like a tombstone) with a pic of the OG coin or one like it incorporated with the tombstone, add the OG tracking number, laminate it and send it on its way...Resurrected!!!
The title would have to include "Resurrected" in the coins name. May even try for a higher quality medium than a laminated card, but thats the jist of it.

A little different, but on the same lines in a way.~ Just gotta figure how to create such a template where I could add a pic easily and add some numbers!!!
_________________
Ha FSM...Delete this!!!!~ Watcha got now!!!! Smile


Last edited by 007BigD on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
007BigD



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Location: Currently Laytonville...Movin home though!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that crossed my mind as I started to read this thread is ~(Kay, hopefully you say "why didnt I think of that" cuz then its feasible... Laughing )

How about getting lower quality materials, such as Aluminum, plastic, or somethin that could be minted in the same mannor of the original coin, in the same press, with the same dies??? Then ya gots the best Proxy around!!!

They could be blank numbered to "release as needed" or as said before with like tracking numbers, so youd get 1 or 2 to accompany the original.

Is it possible to mint in other materials???
_________________
Ha FSM...Delete this!!!!~ Watcha got now!!!! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
solan109



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 16
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFunkyFrogs wrote:
heyya 007, the tag has a question mark on it, it's like a mystery tag...on the reverse side is a tracking #...when ya enter the #, ya find out what coin ya have discovered..... .



Sounds strange to me, I want to hold the coin before logging it so I wouldn´t move or discover it, but that's just me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fox-and-the-hound



Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 241
Location: Northeast PA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

007BigD wrote:
Another thing that crossed my mind as I started to read this thread is ~(Kay, hopefully you say "why didnt I think of that" cuz then its feasible... Laughing )

How about getting lower quality materials, such as Aluminum, plastic, or somethin that could be minted in the same mannor of the original coin, in the same press, with the same dies??? Then ya gots the best Proxy around!!!

They could be blank numbered to "release as needed" or as said before with like tracking numbers, so youd get 1 or 2 to accompany the original.

Is it possible to mint in other materials???


I think the problem with that idea would be that most mints destroy the original dies over time. You'd also need permission for every single coin style. It would likely be cheaper to just buy another coin Sad

The nice thing about a laser engrave is that even though they're not terribly high quality images (being black/white based) you can at least see what it kinda looked like and it still is a metal coin.
_________________
The harder the task, the greater the reward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse