Question of copy rite www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Question of copy rite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Question of copy rite Reply with quote

There is a question of copy rite going on with a coin in the Gc forums . Copy rite is a touchy subject. I know one things about pathtags i was amazed at was possible copy rite infringement On Some of the designers web sites. And just a Glancing mention about not being responsible for acquiring " permission to use " being the designers or the path tag makers. I guess ignorance is bliss . But is there a storm coming on this issue? Is it taking advantage of people wanting a tag and not knowing they could be violating copy rite? Just wondering.
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had reason to wonder about copyright issues myself. One of my first coin designs (yet to be realized) was a parody of the painting "American Gothic" by Grant Wood. Parody falls under the Fair Use defense in copyright law, but it is a defense, NOT protection against prosecution.

There are a lot of coins and tags out there that make use of recognizable creations that would likely bring down swift legal action if someone who cared about it ever got wind of it. The company who's mascot is a certain mouse comes to mind.

Just a note: I have yet to receive a reply from the Wood estate regarding my request to use his work as a basis for my coin, so that project is on hold.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is yes, we're sitting on a ticking time bomb. Initially some of the protect art was showing up on hand made signature items. Defendable because they weren't being sold. Then they started showing up on Coins and PathTags which are being sold. Even if they weren't being sold commercially, they're showing up on ebay now and it's only a matter of time before you know what hits the fan. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse