questions about using enamels www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

questions about using enamels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: questions about using enamels Reply with quote

I have a question about employing translucent enamels in geocoin design. Is it possible to layer enamels?

I am thinking of a coin design where parts of the coin are filled with soft enamel, and then the whole coin is covered with a hard translucent enamel. This would create a coin with the normal metal texturing under the translucent enamel... but would also have some coloured areas as well.

Is this even possible? I am thinking it would create an extra step. The colour enamel would have to be fired first before the translucent enamel is added.

Just to add another twist, could glow-in-the-dark enamels be used under translucent enamels? Would enough light penetrate to 'charge' the glow enamel?

These are probable wierd questions, but it all relates to a personal coin project I have in mind.

Thanks for reading all the way through! Very Happy
Tooey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ask the mint direct - they are the ones that will be able to tell you what is and what is not possible. I posted the contact details in here somewhere.

Here it is http://geocoins.easyphpbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=274
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: questions about using enamels Reply with quote

E&Cplus3 wrote:
I have a question about employing translucent enamels in geocoin design. Is it possible to layer enamels?

I am thinking of a coin design where parts of the coin are filled with soft enamel, and then the whole coin is covered with a hard translucent enamel. This would create a coin with the normal metal texturing under the translucent enamel... but would also have some coloured areas as well.

Is this even possible? I am thinking it would create an extra step. The colour enamel would have to be fired first before the translucent enamel is added.

Just to add another twist, could glow-in-the-dark enamels be used under translucent enamels? Would enough light penetrate to 'charge' the glow enamel?

These are probable wierd questions, but it all relates to a personal coin project I have in mind.

Thanks for reading all the way through! Very Happy

Yes it is possible. I've done a couple times already. Check out Team A.C.E.'s personal coin. We did multiple colored enamels for the Attitude Indicator side and then covered the whole side with a thick clear enamel afterword to give it the feel of the actual glass and metal guage. I also did it with the Cache Critters geocoin (spider side) for the same effect. I'm guessing the glow would work the same way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse