Geocoiners need YOU ! www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Geocoiners need YOU !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Geocoiners need YOU ! Reply with quote

If only I knew how to make a pointy finger.

Tooey's link to here from 'the big forum' got deleted by the FSM, so help spread the word and invite your geocaching friends, those you trade with or buy from to come and join us all at coinmatters.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to post a topic at the Pathtags forums.

Also the blog newgeocoins.com might be willing to post a link for you.

I think getting the word out is imperative for this place to be successful. I will do my part. Very Happy
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocoiners need YOU ! Reply with quote

Professor Grumbledor wrote:
If only I knew how to make a pointy finger.

Tooey's link to here from 'the big forum' got deleted by the FSM, so help spread the word and invite your geocaching friends, those you trade with or buy from to come and join us all at coinmatters.

how about putting a link in one's signature? it will probably get edited out, but for now it is called "coin talking"

if everyone did that, it would keep mods busy taking them all out.

rsg - evil streak mode today!
Theotokos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added 'Coin Talk' to my sig which will direct folks here. Hope it helps.
Tooey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added 'Join Professor Grumbledor's Army' to mine - I think I'm gonna get banned Sad
ATMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooey wrote:
I've added 'Join Professor Grumbledor's Army' to mine - I think I'm gonna get banned Sad

Don't get banned. It won't matter to TPTB over there. Really. Just come over here and vent if need be.

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
Tooey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received THIS from FSM

Good afternoon,<br />I have deleted your last post in the Geocoin Design thread as it clearly goes against what I stated. If you have questions about the guidelines you can direct them offline to either myself or Eartha. That thread is not the place to question it.<br /><br />Likewise, I need you to immediately remove the link in your sig line to the other forums until you receive permission from Groundspeak to put it in there. This is not open for debate - please remove the link before posting again and then if you have questions, you are free to discuss with either myself or the people at Groundspeak.<br /><br />I will copy this message to your email as well to ensure that you receive it.<br /><br />Thank you.<br /><br />FSM
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been sent to the corner:

>>Hello RedShoesGirl,

I am a volunteer moderator for the Groundspeak Forums. I am writing because I have suspended your posting rights for posting the link to the "other" geocoin forums in your signature line.

During this 3-day suspension, do not attempt to post under any alternate or "sock puppet" accounts. Future violations of the forum guidelines may result in a longer or even permanent suspension of your posting privileges in the Groundspeak Forums.

I would go into further detail about why this suspension was issued, but we both know that you were fully aware of what you were doing so I'll spare you the commentary.

Thank you,

FSM<<

my response:

if you would cite the forum guidelines that speak to the issue of what i may link to or not link to in my personal signature i would appreciate it. as far as i can read, nowhere does it say i may not link to another forum.
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:

>>Hello RedShoesGirl,

I am a volunteer moderator for the Groundspeak Forums. I am writing because I have suspended your posting rights for posting the link to the "other" geocoin forums in your signature line.

During this 3-day suspension, do not attempt to post under any alternate or "sock puppet" accounts. Future violations of the forum guidelines may result in a longer or even permanent suspension of your posting privileges in the Groundspeak Forums.

I would go into further detail about why this suspension was issued, but we both know that you were fully aware of what you were doing so I'll spare you the commentary.

Thank you,

FSM<<

my response:

if you would cite the forum guidelines that speak to the issue of what i may link to or not link to in my personal signature i would appreciate it. as far as i can read, nowhere does it say i may not link to another forum.

Welcome to the doghouse, girl!

Rest assured, you're with good company here Wink

Naomi
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOT WOOT thank you for the invite Very Happy
DresselDragons

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:

>>Hello RedShoesGirl,

Thank you,

FSM<<

my response:

I am confused...I thought that you could post links in your sig line
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DresselDragons wrote:
[...I am confused...I thought that you could post links in your sig line

evidently not this particular link. i won't be home from work until this evening, so i do not know what fsm's response is to my questions.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am wondering, was anyone else suspended for having that link in their sig line?

lara
The Klever Boys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this Lara,
I really don't know what's going on over there - paranoia Question

I don't know whether it's common knowledge outside of the UK, but the heavy hand from above was one of the reasons that the two senior UK mods/reviewers quit recently.
I notice tonight that the third (last) UK Mod is stepping away for a while (can't blame the guy).

I can honestly say that I've never seen such a tightly-controlled forum - what is it that they're afraid of??
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSG - I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be better to go to the next level. You make an excellent point about the issue not being addressed in the forum policy. I'm pretty sure FSM and Eartha don't make the rules and I've even noticed other moderators come onto the coin board (like when my Pathtag thread was deleted) and take over moderating duties, even though both FSM and Eartha were around that day.

My point is that you might make more headway dealing with the higher ups. You've got a very valid point. It would be nice to see TPTB at Groundspeak address it. Wink
Tooey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Klever Boys wrote:

I don't know whether it's common knowledge outside of the UK, but the heavy hand from above was one of the reasons that the two senior UK mods/reviewers quit recently.
I notice tonight that the third (last) UK Mod is stepping away for a while (can't blame the guy).

I can honestly say that I've never seen such a tightly-controlled forum - what is it that they're afraid of??

I did make mention of the fact that the first two reviewers quit in a post on the geocoin forums, as an asside to another topic, I can't remember the thread - but I'm sure for me to have mentioned it at the time I must have felt there was some relevance - I got my hand slapped for bringing the "drama" into the geocoin forums and was told in no uncertain terms it wasn't wanted.

Sorry you got a suspension RSG - I didn't - there seems to be no consistency in anything they do.

As an added note, when I visit there now having looked at the layout on here - it's a wonder anyone can find anything, it gives me a headache looking at it.
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooey wrote:
The Klever Boys wrote:

I did make mention of the fact that the first two reviewers quit in a post on the geocoin forums, as an asside to another topic, I can't remember the thread - but I'm sure for me to have mentioned it at the time I must have felt there was some relevance - I got my hand slapped for bringing the "drama" into the geocoin forums and was told in no uncertain terms it wasn't wanted.

Sorry you got a suspension RSG - I didn't - there seems to be no consistency in anything they do.

As an added note, when I visit there now having looked at the layout on here - it's a wonder anyone can find anything, it gives me a headache looking at it.

I was thinking the same thing lol

Last edited by The Wolf Pack on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ATMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooey wrote:
The Klever Boys wrote:

I was thinking very much the same thing. The only additional comment I'd make is that we forum users must strive to keep the threads in their appropriate place and not stray (too far) OT.

Not that I've a bit of OCD, mind you. I just do better when things are a bit tidy.

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
Castle Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next coin newsletter I send out I will add a line for this web site. It goes to over 1500 coiners
That should help.

One request to the Professor: Please send me a small write up on how you would like it advertised.
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
The next coin newsletter I send out I will add a line for this web site. It goes to over 1500 coiners
That should help.

One request to the Professor: Please send me a small write up on how you would like it advertised.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Thats awesome WTG Castle man Smile
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i had an elaborate reply from fsm that basically says they can do what they want even if it is not specifically detailed in the guidelines. because this forum offers non-trackables for sale.

"is the section in the Geocoin Forums that prohibits the linking to sites that sell non-trackable geocoins. That alone is reason enough to not allow it."

well duh, so do the two big listing sites. also groundspeak considers this forum to be a competitor —

"Specifically, there are also sections of the guidelines that state:
"Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if any posts are inappropriate for this board."

wow, we are now competitors.

"Contrary to what a few people think, the forums are very open and Groundspeak is willing to let a lot of things go. There is really no need to keep pushing on this subject, but I can't control that. I can only react to what happens and take the neccessary actions."

i think the other forums are open, but the coin one is not. ya know, i am just about fed up with the forums again, like i was several years ago and i quit posting.

as far as carrying this further to higher ups, i do not have the emotional strength to do that alone. and why. nothing will change.

i thought others had posted the link in their sigs and in numbers there is strength, but heck, if it is just me going up against the man count me out. i have done that too many time and lost. me and don quixote, always tilting at windmills.

now i am going to open up my bubblers for today and try and remember why i got into coins in the first place, because right now, i forget.

lara

PS - later - ok, i wrote the higher ups. probably won't accomplish anything but i had to say something!
Vegas Gamblers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:

*Snip*

lara

PS - later - ok, i wrote the higher ups. probably won't accomplish anything but i had to say something!

Stick to your guns girl.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
as far as carrying this further to higher ups, i do not have the emotional strength to do that alone. and why. nothing will change.

i thought others had posted the link in their sigs and in numbers there is strength, but heck, if it is just me going up against the man count me out. i have done that too many time and lost. me and don quixote, always tilting at windmills.

now i am going to open up my bubblers for today and try and remember why i got into coins in the first place, because right now, i forget.

lara

I'm glad you took that next step RSG. Keep your chin up. Cool

FWIW, I certainly didn't mean to imply that you had to go it alone. There have been 2 instances in the past where I went above the moderators to TPTB - once was successful, once wasn't - but I certainly felt better for making myself heard.

Will it make any difference? Probably not. Maybe if this board is successful in its own right and they take notice of how that happened and why people came here, some changes will be made down the line. But they know they've got the corner on the market and that means they get to make the rules.

Unless we decide to vote with our feet - meaning leave that board, never buy trackables, never post finds or place caches, then that's just the way that cookie crumbles. I know I'm not willing to do that at this point.

But the good news is that we have this board now and the freedom to discuss the subjects here that they won't allow there. That takes the sting out a little bit for me. Wink
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
That should help.

That's a great offer Castle Man. Cool

I've been trying to let as many people as possible know about this place.

I wonder if some folks think it's been set up for invitation-only? Meaning, you have to get a personal invitation to join. I got an email from someone I won't name that indicated they had read a post of mine but that they weren't a member here so they couldn't respond directly.

I wasn't sure if that meant they didn't wish to join or that they felt unwelcome? I wrote back and let them know that they and all are welcome, but so far...I haven't seen that person here yet. Crying or Very sad
PengoFamily

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of writing an email to Bryan. It is not finished yet but I have to state my stance and I don't agree with what is going on over on those forums. I have told Bryan in the past that moderators should be rotated or it becomes a dictatorship. I think they are trying to control way too much.
And we have decided not to renew our premium membership. It is up for renewal in about 10 days. 1 may not hurt, but if a lot do the same maybe it will count for something. At least it is our way of speaking up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse