Coin design depth www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Coin design depth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Coin design depth Reply with quote

I'm curious about the depth of recession of metal in coins being minted. It seems that some of the older designs had much deeper and more dynamic depth and that newer coins seem to be very shallow in differences of depth in multi-layered designs. Has anyone else noticed this trend? Does anyone have a solution or know of a method that overcomes this? Raised metals don't seem to be a problem, just stamped metals. Confused
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you cite a specific example of an old coin vs a new coin demonstrating this problem so I can see exactly what you're talking about, please?

CF30

fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and find some good specific examples. I just noticed as I was moving some of my older coins around to make room for some newer designs last night that my older designs seemed to have more depth and newer ones with the same number of layers seemed to lack the depth. I'm wondering if increased detail makes it harder on the minting presses to achieve the same depth.
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at my Afghanistan coin which is recessed around the 3d map of the country. I'd say it is barely 1/64" recession. Then I look at the Washington 2005, and even though it is covered in epoxy making it harder to tell, I'd say the recession is nearly 1/16".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse