Does epic levels of coin theft count? www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Does epic levels of coin theft count?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Epic Coin Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Does epic levels of coin theft count? Reply with quote

So I'm about to send a Fear No Cache traveling (hopefully on Sunday) and my geo-friends are already excited about a "death-pool" for my ill-advised venture. So now I'm curious... has anyone else set one traveling yet? Has anyone else set one free they expected to disappear that defies the odds by remaining out their traveling?
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Does epic levels of coin theft count? Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
So I'm about to send a Fear No Cache traveling (hopefully on Sunday) and my geo-friends are already excited about a "death-pool" for my ill-advised venture. So now I'm curious... has anyone else set one traveling yet? Has anyone else set one free they expected to disappear that defies the odds by remaining out their traveling?

i don't set free any of my coins. they will get stolen. period. i have dropped unactivated coins for the next finder to keep if they wish but to have one stolen just ticks me off.

there is a great series of caches near me called the smiley caches. one had a traveling vegas coin in it. didn't last past me. pretty sad. i am trying to figure out why i still go caching with so much "stuff" going on. Smile

rsg
Mauison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Does epic levels of coin theft count? Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:

As sad as it sounds, I don't think it'd last very long in the wild before someone steals it. I've set free hundreds of geocoins but won't set free the geocoins I think have the higher possibility of being stolen because the design's awesome or the coin's an older/rarer one. The Fear No Cache is a very sought after coin right now so I think once you set it free, many people will be watching where it gets dropped into.

Edit: The post counter says this is my first post in the coinmatters forum. I'm pretty sure I've posted in this forum before. Hmmm, maybe not. Shocked
Administrator1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - sorry to say - this is your first !
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I activated and put into a brand new cache a Geo Coin Club 2006-06 geocoin - the one that looks like an oyster with a pearl. It was never logged out of the cache. Sad No miles, nothing, nada, no mention that anyone took it.

On the other hand, I had one of my personals - one of only 75 in antique copper - make it all the way from Groundspeak HQ back to me. Very Happy Of course I made no mention of its relative rarity on the TB page... I had a few bad moments when someone logged it into an archived cache that was logged chock full of traveling geocoins but it turned out ok in the end. It was at the MWGB but not logged in there, which annoyed me because I was there & could have retrieved it there but it made it home in the end. Very Happy

And I have multiple coins traveling around Australia. My best movers are there. Perhaps mailing it to a friend in OZ & releasing it there might be an option. None of the coins I sent there have disappeared. Good place for travelers, IMHO. Smile

CF30
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 15 coins out there -- most of them drilled and tagged. They still go missing. One made its way to England and I just was informed that it disappeared from a travel bug hotel in Gatwick.

I'll still keep putting them out there though! Very Happy

I'm planning on releasing 50 or so -- however many of my coins haven't sold -- this year. Maybe I'll tag half and release half au naturel and do a little experiment.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Does epic levels of coin theft count? Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:

instead of sending it out to be stolen, i would be happy to trade for it or even buy it outright!

win-win situation!
Laughing

rsg
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching a tracking time coin that was released in Canada went to the states and has been moving around Czech republic for a while I thought it would have disappeared a long time ago. So even with a very cool coin there is hope . But it is probably a goner But if it is drilled and so then cant be sold I can deal with the lost in a more positive light . Good luck .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Epic Coin Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse