Trading up when it comes to coins... www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Trading up when it comes to coins...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Trading up when it comes to coins... Reply with quote

So Captain Prozac set himself up and sure enough someone took the bait and went out to hunt down the two coins he left in Baltimore. Both were found by the same caching entity which raised a few questions and I'm curious to know what you think...

1) Would you take more than one of the same kind of coin left as swag in different caches?

2) If you found a rare coin should you only trade for another rare coin or just another unactivated coin? Why?

3) Is perceived rarity fair for determing trading even. ie: if you found an unactivated Moun10Bike geocoin (arguably worth $3000-5000) would you be behaving badly to leave just any coin in it's place as trade?

4) Would you leave $10 of swag for a $10 coin as a fair trade even if the coin is perceived as "rare"? Keep in mind some "rare" coins sold for over a hundred dollars on ebay, but were reminted and sold later for under $10.
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its two bad about the capt s coins but several well know cachers have the same problem. Being hunted as they cache for their coins. Tsun has a new cache only coin which is a highly sought after piece of metal,so im sure a few people keep a eye on her profile to try and track down one. But Its really not cool to take two of the same coin left as a gift ,rare or not. As far as trading for it A coin is a coin ..Even moun10bike trades or traded his one for one . I once found a geocoin fairy coin in a cache by chance so i left a activated coin of mine in as trade and then sent who ever was the next finder a brand new personal as well. 10 $ or a coin is a reasonable trade for any full size coin., In my opinion anyway.
Jake - Team A.I.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... I had to trade two GPS units for my Capt Prozac.

We had an issue here in my neck of the woods where a local cacher went out and tried to collect all of the easter egg mystery coins that got distributed. When confronted, they said that they were taking them up to be distributed in his summer home (Canada). It was really disappointing to see local cachers get robbed of someone's generosity.
L/GBOTS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when we were making coins, we left some in local caches and had a cacher follow us around, pick them up and put them on Ebay.... Rolling Eyes
I messaged him and he removed them.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I felt the same way. Then later I met someone who found two of my personals in two different caches as swag. The first they kept. The second became the first "trader" they ever had. Now they're geocoin crazy and big supporters of the whole coin community so now I wonder. If they never took that second coin and never made that first trade would they be the coin fanatic they are now? (I left those coins as trade items for a hat on a cold day at one cache and a brass lock for my boat trailer on another.)

So if we propose that as a guideline we shouldn't ever take 2 of the same coin how would you answer when a cacher with a severe fear of heights asks you to go after that coin in the cache up in a tree that you already have one of while you're caching together? Sure you're just doing him a favor, but if you retrieve it and give it to him aren't you still guilty of taking a second coin of the same kind regardless of your intentions?

My point is this is one hypothetical scenario out of millions and there's always two sides to a story. Just more food for thought...
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your point and as in all cases not every thing is black and white But if you are intentionally following someone or happen to find two i think you should leave the second I mean really buy your own traders . Share the wealth especially if it is a rare or awesome coin like one of yours Chris
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trading up when it comes to coins... Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
So Captain Prozac set himself up and sure enough someone took the bait and went out to hunt down the two coins he left in Baltimore. Both were found by the same caching entity which raised a few questions and I'm curious to know what you think...

i think that really sucks. and is no fair at all!

Quote:
1) Would you take more than one of the same kind of coin left as swag in different caches?

no.

Quote:
2) If you found a rare coin should you only trade for another rare coin or just another unactivated coin? Why?

i don't think i would feel i even had to trade a coin if i found a personal or unactivated coin in a cache. i would trade for as much stuff as i had on me though to make it as fair as possible. i mean, i don't even know what a capt. prozac coin is!

Quote:
3) Is perceived rarity fair for determing trading even. ie: if you found an unactivated Moun10Bike geocoin (arguably worth $3000-5000) would you be behaving badly to leave just any coin in it's place as trade?

no. see what one of the other folkses said. if someone leaves a coin in a cache and knows that it is a rarity, then they are in effect giving that coin away if it is an unactivated coin. i have dropped rare ones in caches knowing full well that the next person probably doesn't even have an "even" trade to leave.

Quote:
4) Would you leave $10 of swag for a $10 coin as a fair trade even if the coin is perceived as "rare"? Keep in mind some "rare" coins sold for over a hundred dollars on ebay, but were reminted and sold later for under $10.

yes.

rsg
Tank Hounds

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously live in the wrong part of the country as I've never found an unactivated coin in a cache!

(OK, that's a small lie, just last weekend I pulled a travel slug coin from a cache...then put it in another cache on our cache run....only to find when I got home and put in the tracking number that it was unactivated...oh well!)

Maybe on my trip to WA this summer! ha!
Tooey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you said it - he set himself up for it.
Would I take two coins, probably not, but then I might feel mean I didn't get one for a friend that I just knew would love to have one.
Would I trade fair? I doubt I would have any notion of what such a coin might be worth, for coins though I would leave another coin, I would never leave swag in exchange for a coin.
Guinness70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a mess over "coins".
make em cheaper and you dont get all this crap.

its no longer fun, just plain BUISNESS
Jake - Team A.I.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've totally gotten away from doing coin trades thru the mail. I've found that I have more fun with face to face trades. With this method, I've managed to collect all my very hard to finds including all my Groundspeak lackey and volunteer coins, a Capt Prozac, and just recently a trackable "Cog & Gil"

I have to admit my modest box of trade-ables is getting lighter, I'm gonna have to have something special done since I'm planning to head up to geocoinfest in SLC in October.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse