Anybody interested in some cool design sites? www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Anybody interested in some cool design sites?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Anybody interested in some cool design sites? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is any interest in a pinned topic for people to add links to reference material sites, tutorial sites, inspiration sites for the coin designers out there. I look at a couple dozen daily just to see what's up and people are always asking where I get ideas so I thought this might be an easy way to share.
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds interesting
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few off the top of my head....

PSDTuts.com
gfxartist.com
teefury.com
createsk8.com
cgsociety.org
conceptart.org
topcow.com
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i must be out of the loop or something. i think coin designs should come from within, not from others' work or graphics.

i am not a fan of coins that were "inspired" by another artist's creations, whether that be a photo, a clay sculpture or a building.

think of your fave coins - which ones of those are truly original pieces of art? i keep thinking of tengwar coins. those seem to be unique.

coins like the simplified version of the aztec calendar don't inspire me either. i think was pretty naive when i first started collecting coins, as i thought all these designs were originals!

live and learn. Smile

rsg
tsunrisebey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Never even heard of those sites until you posted them. Can't say they'd be of much use to me but it's cool you're willing to share.

I don't really have any sites that I specifically go to. Sometimes I'll look at pictures in google images, sometimes I'll be looking at a magazine and see an element I like. I saw a clock once that had a very simple face design and thought that could be a cool element to add to a coin. Sometimes just being out in nature is inspiration enough. Today I was at work and had a bit of free time, so I sketched out a new ET design, it started out as one thing and completely morphed into something else, my initial sketch with a couple of mistakes, prompted me to try something different and I ended up with a huge smile on face.

It's always interesting to see what inspires others and their designs. Isn't it great when you see an element in something like a picture or piece of jewelry and that leads to the creation of a whole new coin?

I remember in my Water Coloring course at college, my professor forced us to pick an artist and emulate them. We had to draw and then paint in their style but using our own "design". I chose Kandinsky and I'm not really an abstract fan but I did it as an exercise to force myself into a new way of seeing things. I used a basic Earth Turtle 2007 shape and adopted it to Kandinski's style. I ended up loving the exercise and find myself painting in his style. It's wonderful to be inspired by the "art" of others because they were inspired by those who came beofre them and I think they would appreciate those of us who are finding inspiration in their works.

When you think about it, nothing is truly original, it's all been done before. As always, thanks for your willingness to share.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunrisebey wrote:
When you think about it, nothing is truly original, it's all been done before.

i suppose it all depends on your point of view. i think there IS original art being produced all the time. perhaps not in your paradigm though.

rsg
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite sites to just browse is:

deviantart.com
tsunrisebey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E&Cplus3 wrote:

deviantart.com

I'm curious, these sites, I'm assuming this is where you Graphic Artists submit the artwork you've been fooling around with so others can see what others are doing? Kind of inspirational for the GA's?

Edit: Nevermind, I see what it's about. I guess I should surf the net a bit more. Kind of cool.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
i think i must be out of the loop or something. i think coin designs should come from within, not from others' work or graphics.

i am not a fan of coins that were "inspired" by another artist's creations, whether that be a photo, a clay sculpture or a building.

think of your fave coins - which ones of those are truly original pieces of art? i keep thinking of tengwar coins. those seem to be unique.

coins like the simplified version of the aztec calendar don't inspire me either. i think was pretty naive when i first started collecting coins, as i thought all these designs were originals!

live and learn. Smile

rsg

Not out of the loop, but possibly a bit naive in perspective. These sites share ideas, technique and know-how. I know how to do things in photoshop that people who teach photoshop don't. They know things that I don't. Sites like these share technique and ideas that develop into designs.

I browse these sites to be inspired much the way I visit museums to be inspired. Just because someone isn't a 300 years dead legend doesn't mean they don't have good ideas to share. Oh, by the way, all those original pieces of art? Inspired by other artists. All of them. Without exception (and that includes every geocoin ever created). The very idea of art as a form of shared communication is as old as mankind.

If you see something in nature and sketch it out, how is it any different than say taking a photo and using a photo as reference later? A different medium, but the same end result. We look around everywhere in life and collect little bits of info. All of it in one way or another colors how we see our world. When we use art as a creative outlet all of that gathered minutia becomes an influence on our work.

These sites aren't for stealing imagery. These sites are for looking to find imagery that inspires you and then reading about what inspired the artist to reach that finished piece of art. You might just learn something along the way while you're at it. Wink

I'm curious why you might think any Tengwar coin is "unique" or "original"? I'm not saying they aren't (anymore than any art), but I'd like to hear your reasoning since you seem so sure of it.

Last edited by fox-and-the-hound on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunrisebey wrote:
E&Cplus3 wrote:

deviantart.com

I'm curious, these sites, I'm assuming this is where you Graphic Artists submit the artwork you've been fooling around with so others can see what others are doing? Kind of inspirational for the GA's?

Edit: Nevermind, I see what it's about. I guess I should surf the net a bit more. Kind of cool.

A number of those sites are where artists post their works in progress and receive critique from fellow artists. Often when you work too long on something you stop seeing some of the problem areas. Having your peers call out those things to you helps to make a good piece great and helps you learn to spot problems before they arise on future projects.

Most of those sites though are school sites like Lynda.com where you can sign up to take tutorials to learn how to use graphics software. They're much like taking college level workshops teaching higher-end tips and technique.

Last edited by fox-and-the-hound on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:

Not out of the loop, but possibly a bit naive in perspective. These sites share ideas, technique and know-how. I know how to do things in photoshop that people who teach photoshop don't. They know things that I don't. Sites like these share technique and ideas that develop into designs.

I browse these sites to be inspired much the way I visit museums to be inspired. Just because someone isn't a 300 years dead legend doesn't mean they don't have good ideas to share. Oh, by the way, all those original pieces of art? Inspired by other artists. All of them. Without exception (and that includes every geocoin ever created). The very idea of art as a form of shared communication is as old as mankind.

If you see something in nature and sketch it out, how is it any different than say taking a photo and using a photo as reference later? A different medium, but the same end result. We look around everywhere in life and collect little bits of info. All of it in one way or another colors how we see our world. When we use art as a creative outlet all of that gathered minutia becomes an influence on our work.

These sites aren't for stealing imagery. These sites are for looking to find imagery that inspires you and then reading about what inspired the artist to reach that finished piece of art. You might just learn something along the way while you're at it. Wink

I'm curious why you might think any Tengwar coin is "unique" or "original"? I'm not saying they aren't (anymore than any art), but I'd like to hear your reasoning since you seem so sure of it.

>> Oh, by the way, all those original pieces of art? Inspired by other artists. All of them.<<

i don't really see how you can say that! picasso's work, inspired by whom?

what i said was >>i am not a fan of coins that were "inspired" by another artist's creations, whether that be a photo, a clay sculpture or a building.<<

nothing said about being inspired by nature. but using someone else's photo of nature to create a coin is not cool.

using clip art because you can't draw, ok, i can see that. perhaps in a coin design that one comes up with in a doodle, but can't really draw that elephant.

there is a fine line between inspiration and copying. inspired by asian designs - cool. copying a specific asian design and calling it your own design - not cool.

all art is not derivative. to say that it has all be done and nothing original is being done anymore, well, i think that is a ludicrous statement. techniques are passed down from one generation to another. but there are artists still creating original pieces that don't look like anyone else's art!

when was the "last" original piece of art created? if all art has been done, then when did the copying start? who was the last original artist?

a teenager wrote me a while back because she wanted to use one of my photos to copy into a painting.

i said no.

she persisted saying she really loved the photo. and showed me great examples of how she had done this before.

i told her in a very nice "art teacher" kind of way to find her own "art" - to use her life's experience to create a photo first, if she really wanted to paint from a photo.

as she grew as an artist and as a person, her art would grow too.

starting with my piece wasn't going to help her grow. it was simply copying my style and the face that i found. getting out and seeing, breathing, living light - that would be more beneficial to her.

yep, i was naive about coins thinking that folks were using their own art/drawing/photograph/IMAGINATION to make coins. i have learned. good lesson to learn. certainly is saving me money!

i agreed with most of what you said, just not the "there is no more original" art anymore. Smile

rsg
tsunrisebey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment to those in general that read this thread and then I'll keep go back to being silent on this topic.

Original and originality, I see as 2 different things. Doesn't make me right, doesn't make me wrong, just makes it my opinion. Every shape, scroll, animal, leaf, sun, moon, everything, has been done before. It's not original. Originality is what we do to make those shapes, scrolls, animals, etc. our own. Fine line? Maybe, maybe not, you choose.

If people choose to be judgmental about someone else's artwork then that is their choice to do so.

Speaking for myself, I design from the heart, I design what I love (and I know a number of people do this as we've tossed ideas and thoughts back and forth along with encouraging each other). I get my inspiration from a number of places, things, emotions, situations, etc. I'm proud of what I do and I'm thrilled beyond belief that others find the joy or meaning in my designs or others designs for that matter. There is nothing to be ashamed of and I'm going to continue to do what I love until the inspiration is gone. If people choose not to buy because they feel I'm less or my designs are less, than they have every right to do so. I refuse to let someone else's issues make me feel like I'm not worthy.

I'm just appreciative that there are plenty of people who are open-minded and see the beauty in a small piece of metal that is more often times than not, offered as a piece that has come from within.

That's my truth and that's from the heart.

tsun
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
fox-and-the-hound wrote:

Oh, by the way, all those original pieces of art? Inspired by other artists. All of them.<<

i don't really see how you can say that! picasso's work, inspired by whom?

what i said was >>i am not a fan of coins that were "inspired" by another artist's creations, whether that be a photo, a clay sculpture or a building.<<

nothing said about being inspired by nature. but using someone else's photo of nature to create a coin is not cool.

using clip art because you can't draw, ok, i can see that. perhaps in a coin design that one comes up with in a doodle, but can't really draw that elephant.

there is a fine line between inspiration and copying. inspired by asian designs - cool. copying a specific asian design and calling it your own design - not cool.

all art is not derivative. to say that it has all be done and nothing original is being done anymore, well, i think that is a ludicrous statement.

when was the "last" original piece of art created? if all art has been done, then when did the copying start? who was the last original artist?

yep, i was naive about coins thinking that folks were using their own art/drawing/photograph/IMAGINATION to make coins. i have learned. good lesson to learn. certainly is saving me money!

i agreed with most of what you said, just not the "there is no more original" art anymore. Smile

rsg

I'm glad you mentioned Picasso because it perfectly illustrates my point. Inspired by whom? Well let's see... Edouard Manet (where he learned high contrast imagery and gorgeous lighting), Gustave Courbet (where he learned ultra-realism in illustration (yes, Picasso was an amazing life-like illustrator for a while)), Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (where he learned to use iconic figures & a rough sketch style), Greek and Greek Revival (where he took the overly bold large figures from), Henri Matisse (for his outlandish eye jarring colors) and of course Henri Rousseau for the bold dark slashes of paint typical of his cubism work and his flattened almost hieroglyphic-like characters. You know for someone who said "i am not a fan of coins that were "inspired" by another artist's creations, whether that be a photo, a clay sculpture or a building" I find it amusing that you admire an artist who was inspired by photo-obscura, sculptures and buildings. He took a half dozen techniques all ready perfected by other masters and made a new style of his own from their influencing styles. You say he's original and so do I, but I recognize also that his originality was made up of things that came before him.

All art IS in fact derivative in some way. I never said "all has been done" (you said that), I said all is affected by what has been done before. You keep mentioning copying, but you're the only one talking about copying. I'm talking about going to sites where you can learn from others who have also learned. I'm talking about broadening your understanding through education so that you can blaze that new trail of creativity. I'm sharing with people hungry to learn where I've learned and continue to learn. If you have something to contribute OT, then please do. If you have an axe to grind with some designer who stole imagery then please start your own thread, because I'm of a like mind on that kind of behavior and would be happy to chime in.

There will never be a last "original" artist because art will always be seen through new eyes with every new birth. That student wanted to use your image to make something new. It might have been something far beyond your reach for capacity. It might have been something that changed the world. How do you know for certain it wouldn't have? I wonder how far Picasso would have progressed if the masters of his time had told him to go off and find his own way instead of inviting him to sit at their feet and learn? The point is masters all started as students and many of those students learned by yes, I'll say it, "copying" their masters in both technique and imagery before going out to produce masterpieces themselves.

I don't copy or plagiarize work. I also don't pretend to be some all-knowing creative genius who's beyond learning a lesson or three on a regular basis. I'm a designer. It's my trade and craft to take all manner of input and media and weave them together into something new and hopefully meaningful. I ask great illustrators for help when I need it, I ask great photographers for help when I need it. I ask for help because I know my own limitations and if I want to rise above them, I need instruction from others. I credit the people who help because they deserve recognition for their input. I offer help to people who need it because someday they might (and some already have) help me.

So please stop misquoting me with made-up comments in unnecessary quotations. I didn't say it and you well know it. I said, "When we use art as a creative outlet all of that gathered minutia becomes an influence on our work".

By the way, still waiting to hear your reasoning on the Tengwar design...
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am enjoying this topic and the discussion . I too believe that all art is from something else We are inspired by what we see or have seen in our lives. As was brought up all the great masters learned from some one else . I have seen your pictures Lara and they are stunning . You Eye and vision and what you see thought your lens is a gift . But it is a copy of nature, you have the ability to see the beauty, the patients to wait for the perfect shot, It is a great talent to be able to capture the beauty or awesome images you see and be able to share that with others. It too bad you didn't let the student use your work as a basis for hers . You may have missed out on a opportunity to see your work in a total new way. Her vision of your image may have been totally new like Andy Warhol looking at a can of soup . My next coin will be coming out soon and i tried to copy not a Piece of work but a style which i have always enjoyed and seen my whole life . I was inspired to try to do something similar but original. And i hope i achieved it . I know i have some done something that is not Authentic and i don't claim it to be i also added ,used a dragon in a Mythology that doesn't have dragons But i was inspired to draw it through my vision Not through the vision of what is totally correct. It might insult or up set some one that i veered from a well worn path . But some times you have to be willing to get lost to truly find your way. This new coin will be the most personal for me because of what it is and the style i tried to pay tribute too. I hope it will be liked .
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
So please stop misquoting me with made-up comments in unnecessary quotations. I didn't say it and you well know it. I said, "When we use art as a creative outlet all of that gathered minutia becomes an influence on our work"...

sorry, the quotes got mixed up...

>>All art IS in fact derivative in some way. I never said "all has been done" (you said that),<<

well i didn't say that, i was quoting steph who said it. ("When you think about it, nothing is truly original, it's all been done before. ")

i simply disagreed with that point.

but i am not feeling up to debating the points you bring up. your knowledge of art history is obviously much greater than mine and what you say is absolutely right. UNCLE!

but there is still a fine line between being taught by the masters and going off to do your own thing, like picasso and copying another's piece of work.

and btw, i never ever implied or inferred that you did copy or plagerize or would ever do that! certainly i don't think that.

thanks geocaching dragon! but i do stand firm on not letting the student copy my work. warhol created his own work from the soup can. he didn't paint that can from someone else photo of it, did he? i dunno.

i help new shooters and others as much as i can. i write a monthly column on photography, for those that wish to sit at the feet of this non-master. i will take anyone out and teach them what little i know about seeing. i answer questions up the whazoo about photography but i do draw the line at having someone copy my stuff. we all give back in whatever way we can.

it is a personal decision.

we will have to agree to disagree about that one. Smile

look, i never meant this to turn into a big deal. i understand more about what your intent was in posting those sites. bravo for showing them to folks.

i have to take my sick self to bed now, nighty nite folkses...

lara
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well back on topic then, RSG, who's art do you admire? Who do you think are the "great ones" when it comes to photography? Do you have links you'd be willing to share with us?

Here are few more links:

http://www.allendouglasstudio.com/

http://www.chrisjanderson.com/

http://www.anticz.com/anticz.htm

http://members.shaw.ca/dmandryk/

http://www.aumania.it/fa_index.html - this is a great library of fantasy work with some really great painting techniques
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
warhol created his own work from the soup can. he didn't paint that can from someone else photo of it, did he? i dunno.

That's an excellent question actually. Warhol created his work of all 32 cans of soup from 1 can and a typed list of soups - lol. The single most important part of the whole production though was that he first went out and got permission from Campbells Soup Compnay first and was licensed to make the paintings. So even when doing omage work, an artist should identify it as such first and foremost and go about it correctly by seeking the correct permissions. Smile
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's links...

http://www.beetart.com/

http://www.bromart.com/

http://www.jeffcarlisle.com/

http://www.sjgames.com/artbooks/index.html

http://www.jasonchanart.com/

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4856

http://www.mania.com/
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's links...

http://www.degenesis.de/

http://www.ericdeschamps.com/

http://www.henningludvigsen.com/index.php/main/works/

http://www.diterlizzi.com/

http://www.larryelmore.com/

http://www.epilogue.net/index.php

http://www.melanierawn.com/
Tooey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing - I haven't looked at all of the sites listed, but I have taken a peek around one or two of them.

It is certainly refreshing to see more information being shared here and more discussion on design in general.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's links...

http://data.fineartstudioonline.com/dataviewer.asp?keyvalue=6562 (Illustrator Fred Fields)

http://www.filrobb.com/

http://www.fischart.com/Fischartnews.html (Illustrator Scott Fischer)

http://www.juangimenez.com/galeria/index.html (warhammer type stuff, but really nice texture use!)

http://www.gangus.net/workshop.htm# (superior hard lighting tech)

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ (professional training for artists)
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's sites....

http://www.andrewgoldhawk.com/

http://www.melgrant.com/

http://www.greghornjudge.com/ ( a link to all things comic - very important because comic ink work relates closer to minting coins than any other kind of illustration )

http://www.imphead.com/ (Despain's gorgeous texture and pattern work)

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/ (absolute must visit for anyone interested in figure drawing and how lighting works - READ THE TUTORIALS!!!)

http://www.jaestudio.com/ (Jason Engle - one of my favorite budding artists) also check out his more professional side at http://www.jaestudio.com/DesignSolutions-Portfolio.htm

http://www.jimpavelec.com/ (beautifully macabre and strong sketch)
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great site i just found looks of amazing art
http://www.markbraught.com/2.html
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!!!! The Society of Illustrators in NYC is offering all their guest lectures from pro-artists for free online now. Check them out at http://societyillustrators.org/museum/LectureArchives.cms
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, F&H!! Thank you for this thread! Now I gotta go check out all those sites - especially....ummm.... Linda.com, I think. Need to learn how to use graphics programs... Shocked Are those lessons free or cost something? I learned most of my HTML from a free site... Smile

CF30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse