speaking of cool coin designs www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

speaking of cool coin designs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: speaking of cool coin designs Reply with quote

i just happened on these amazing austrailian coins. not geocoins. but wow! how gorgeous these are. but the prices are pretty spendy!

i was wondering how they created the colour part of the coin. it doesnt' look like enamels. the platinum, yes platinum, coins have wildflowers!

lara
Tooey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to the mint in Perth - it's the only place I've been to where they let you hold and lift a gold bullion bar. You have to stick your hands through a perspex hole to do it though and of course it isn't big enough to be able to pull the gold bar out Confused

As for the colour finishes on the coins this is achieved by a specially adapted pad printing technique. Successive layers of coloured inks are applied to create the finished image. The inks are mixed with hardener which cures to leave an exceptionally durable finish. Even the most complex coloured images can be reproduced clearly and accurately using this technique, which was developed by the Perth Mint.

Whilst the Platinum and Gold coins are very expensive, the silver coins are no less impressive and considerably cheaper, but don't tell Walter I said that !!

Their range of products is impressive, they will also undertake custom mintings not just with precious metals, they will also undertake base metal projects as well. They can do platings, inserts, locket coins, amazingly detailed coloured images using the techniques described above. They can also produce Lenticular coins, even shaped coins and can produce some very attractive packing to go with them as well.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: speaking of cool coin designs Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
i just happened on these amazing austrailian coins. not geocoins. but wow! how gorgeous these are. but the prices are pretty spendy!

i was wondering how they created the colour part of the coin. it doesnt' look like enamels. the platinum, yes platinum, coins have wildflowers!

lara

have a link?
Tooey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/200th-anniversary-of-the-rum-rebellion-1oz-holey-dollar-and-dump.aspx - Gives a good example of the pictorial effects possible, there is also a pdf download that shows some exceptionally detailed coin designs. Links to all other areas can be found from this link.

The link to the pdf document is at the bottom of this page, well worth a look http://www.perthmint.com.au/minting_services.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse