Glitter and Bling www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Glitter and Bling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Glitter and Bling Reply with quote

I personally like to see coins with a bit of glitter or glow in the dark (IF the design supports it), but sometimes I see coins that are...hmmm...a bit over the top.

What do you think? Are the translucent enamels too much for you? Is glow-in-the-dark just too much for you to accept? Do you like a well-designed all-metal coin only? Or does color catch your eye and make you say:"Oooooo!"?

And what coins in particular do you think some "bling" was done well?

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
Tooey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Blingety bling Reply with quote

Well I didn't even know about glow in the darks for ages, imagine my surprise when I accidentally discovered my Jan & The Percy Boys coin glowed in the dark, I was just like a big kid at Christmas. That was my first ever trade Smile

I think some of the translucent colours can really enhance a design, and sometimes a touch of glitter is ok too. But some of the all metal coins stand alone for their superb designs. That's what I love about Geocoins, the diversity and creativity out there is brilliant. Just when you think you have seen every design possible, out comes another 'got to have for my collection coin' Very Happy
ChanceRider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have absolutely NO artistic talent and honestly don't spend much time pondering why I like a particular coin... probably because of said lack of talent.

I do tend to like vibrant colors if used well (the V1 EarthTurtle comes to mind) ... sparklies always catch my eye. That said, I have some plain metal coins which I appreciate just for the artwork.

I have a pretty firmed up idea for my own (first) personal coin that would include the use of a single color and raised metal outline. All I need to do is find a good, reputable, designer. Any recommendations?

LOL, not much in the way of a response, eh?
hollora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will jump in - for what it's worth.

When we were doing the Maine Pirate Quest Coin, I had no idea how many choices there were to make. It was fun to see another glow in the dark color besides that yellowish green.

Hence we chose to have the sails glow blue. I really liked that as it was a reflection off the water onto the sails IMHO - hope others liked it as well. I liked the glitter in the sky and had hoped we could do glow sails with glitter but we were advised against it. Hence the reason - some had glitter and others had glow.

I love color when it enhances the design. One coin which I found in the wild that jumped out at me, and I since have one of my own, is the moun10girl PC. Also, I like the way that coin combined a color side with a plain side with lots of detail.

Surely this discussion will reveal a lot of folks likes and dislikes. Next..........

Last edited by hollora on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's like spices ( I love to equate everything to cooking - lol) where the right elements compliment while the wrong can kill a great creation. Sparkle is great when it's called for, guady when it isn't. Hard enamel calls for an entirely different method of design from soft enamel. It's all in how you put it together. What makes my eyes water are beautiful designs completely wrecked by too much bling. Certain designs just don't belong in some metals, too. Too often someone decides on a good design because it looks good in one metal and then automatically makes it in two other metals that don't necessarily compliment it. Why bother making anything other than the best it can be. If that means limiting your choices, then so be it. Cool

Moun10Gal or Moun10Girl? Wink
hollora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
I think it's like spices ( I love to equate everything to cooking - lol) where the right elements compliment while the wrong can kill a great creation. Sparkle is great when it's called for, guady when it isn't. Hard enamel calls for an entirely different method of design from soft enamel. It's all in how you put it together. What makes my eyes water are beautiful designs completely wrecked by too much bling. Certain designs just don't belong in some metals, too. Too often someone decides on a good design because it looks good in one metal and then automatically makes it in two other metals that don't necessarily compliment it. Why bother making anything other than the best it can be. If that means limiting your choices, then so be it. Cool

Moun10Gal or Moun10Girl? Wink

Hee, hee - you got me! Embarassed It's Moun10Girl! All better! Very Happy
Cheesy Pigs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Glitter and Bling Reply with quote

ATMouse wrote:
I personally like to see coins with a bit of glitter or glow in the dark (IF the design supports it), but sometimes I see coins that are...hmmm...a bit over the top.

What do you think? Are the translucent enamels too much for you? Is glow-in-the-dark just too much for you to accept? Do you like a well-designed all-metal coin only? Or does color catch your eye and make you say:"Oooooo!"?

And what coins in particular do you think some "bling" was done well?

I am also a glittery, glow in the dark, blingy fan. I mean Tennessee Jed's XLE glitter bear is certainly in your face, but I think it is one of the most eye-catching coins out there - and I love it! It comes in different varieties so people who arent as 'bling-mad' as me can choose something a tad more muted, but my favourite is the glitter.

As far as the best ever use of glitter I have come across - that would have to be WI_Robin's 2007 AE personal. All very pastel glitters, but I think it is a stunning coin.

My favourite Glow coin is a very simple design - the Allegany State Park Geobash 2008. GREAT use of glow in that one - so appropriate.

As for translucent enamels - well, strangely enough - I adore them too! I love the 2007 Earth Turtle, the Tranquilities and the Taiwan Blue Magpie (the first ever coin I saw that used them). It really makes 3D layering stand out, and give a new dimension to the coins.

But as far as all metal goes...if done well, it can be just as beautiful as a more blingy coin. I adore the black nickel/gold two tones and copper/nickel two tones especially. The Letterboxing and Tranquilities are good examples here. But for all one metal 3D stunning goodness you cant go past Rusty'o'Junk's or DLiming/KimbyJ's personal coin Very Happy
ATMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...two-tones. I have to agree with you, there. My only issue with two tones is that it seems you are pressing the edge of what the mints can do.

I've seen examples of muddy edges, spotting and incomplete fill. Sometimes it's rather more than I would have tolerated if I had been the buyer.

But the effect can be eye popping.

bassmig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I'm not huge on the bling. I like a coin that is reminiscent of currency coins. I find it makes it look richer, I guess that may be because of my love of currency coins. I do not have a huge coin collection by any means. I mostly collect coins that reflect my interests. This would be patriotic coins, music, technology, nature, astronomy and geocaching....so I guess pretty much any coins fit that bill. lol

I like simpler designs because I find they are timeless. I have a few coins that even if I were to stop geocaching and coin collecting I would keep in my collection.
007BigD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the glows and translucents. It wasnt till I saw my coin that realized how stunning a Mirror finish is aswell! Dont see many coins with Mirror finish!

Gotta say the Glitter Geojellies are fun to look at too! I like the glitter thats all "rainbowey" Surprised
BRoKeNW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like bling if it's not over done. I've seen some coins that have an excessive use of glitter and it makes the coin look horrific. I've also seen some all metal coins that are just breath taking. So I guess it all comes down to how every detail is executed on the coin if it catches my interest or not.

My Seeking List

My Trader list
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally depends upon the coin design. I love translucents, like glitters and think glows are cool! But I made my feather with no enamels at all. Enamels would have detracted from that design. I am currently working on a project (not a personal) that will have enamels on the front but no enamels on the back - again enamels would detract from the design on the back but are desirable, even necessary, for the front. We are trying both PMS colors & translucents to decide which will look better. Personally I believe translucents will look best but will wait until samples are in hand to make final decisions on that score. So bottom line - totally depends upon the coin design.

CF30
Smort78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's mirror finish?
I guess it's not the same as the back on the landsharkz geocoin addict coin...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread... I think like most matters, glow in the dark and glitter have their place and can really make a coin look cool. I would use them as highlights rather than splattering glow everywhere. (such as the owl eyes on the Gone Caching 2 event coin ~ incidentally, most people didn't know the eyes glowed when they bought them!).

As with two-tone, I think that has a place, but not everywhere, (that's a different subject which I will open a new thread for).
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the things few think about, but we all should is using translucents to mix color with the metal for a better effect. I keep seeing people but something like a light blue translucent over gold metal and being suprised that it turns green! Well what did you think would happen? The upside is that you can use this to your advantage, too. My favorite compliment on the original copper Tuit was that the red enamel over the copper turned a dark cherry red that was referred to several times as "candy" and accompanied by admissions to smelling it "just to see". Laughing
ATMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
I think one of the things few think about, but we all should is using translucents to mix color with the metal for a better effect. I keep seeing people but something like a light blue translucent over gold metal and being suprised that it turns green! Well what did you think would happen? The upside is that you can use this to your advantage, too. My favorite compliment on the original copper Tuit was that the red enamel over the copper turned a dark cherry red that was referred to several times as "candy" and accompanied by admissions to smelling it "just to see". Laughing

My fav: Green on nickel...Hmmm..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse