Geocoiners need YOU ! www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Geocoiners need YOU !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladebear68

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here to find out what the difference is between your forums and gc.com. I have to agree with avroair if your intent is to allow everyone to whine, complain and moan about how bad gc.com is or about their life, I wont be staying long.

I would be interested in a forum where you can express your opinions and tell people what you really think about their designs without becoming labeled as negative or not playing nice.

Lately there have been a lot of crappy designs that have come out and people copying other designs and thinking they are their own. Funny how everyone jumped on CB for her problems but no one comes out and calls out those individuals who copy others work and makes a profit from it.

I also find it humorous that the person who started these forums doesn't come out and declare who they are. If you want this to be an open and honest forum, identify yourself.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladebear68 wrote:
I also find it humorous that the person who started these forums doesn't come out and declare who they are. If you want this to be an open and honest forum, identify yourself.

Is this some sort of secret? Shocked

If you know something about it, why not just say who it is yourself?
ladebear68

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea who started these forums, but don't they admit the name is a sock puppet.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladebear68 wrote:
I have no idea who started these forums, but don't they admit the name is a sock puppet.

I thought they said it was a handle they were using ala Secret Agent, Coin Fairy, and the like. Aren't those notorious coin gifter's names also sock puppet names? I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

Although that does bring up a good point. If sock puppet accounts aren't allowed on Groundspeak then why are the coin gifters allowed to have them? Is it because they do good things with them instead of trying to create havoc on the board? (Which I support wholeheartedly, BTW.) It just seems like for a place that seems to be very sticky about some rules/regs, it sure looks the other way for some other rules/regs.

And maybe I have this all wrong anyway...if I do, I'm sure someone will set me straight and that's fine too. I don't claim to know everything, that's for sure.

But if the person who is putting up the money to run this board wants to remain anonymous, then I don't really care either. IMO this board is a good thing and has been a long time coming. It's not like it's being kept a big dark secret. Wink
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone wants to whine about gc.com then let them whine. i don't have to read it nor does anyone. but what is one person's whine is another person's "tain't nuttin."

i think there should really be an off-topic forum so if someone is having a great day - book published, movie deal signed, grandkids born or adventures in hair colouring (my story), there is a place for it.

this place could be a good opposite to the rigidity of the geocoin forum. i like hearing 'bout people and their stories. one of the reasons i have stuck with geocoins! think how boring it would be to just have coins coming in and no one to talk to about them and how they fit into your day. i always felt that was barely tolerated elsewhere.

and i love being able to see the sig items without having to go look for them on the other forum.

did i answer the question?

gotta go to sleep.

lara
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PengoFamily wrote:
I am in the process of writing an email to Bryan. It is not finished yet but I have to state my stance and I don't agree with what is going on over on those forums. I have told Bryan in the past that moderators should be rotated or it becomes a dictatorship. I think they are trying to control way too much.
And we have decided not to renew our premium membership. It is up for renewal in about 10 days. 1 may not hurt, but if a lot do the same maybe it will count for something. At least it is our way of speaking up.

WTG Chatal I to am not renewing my membership either it is up on the 9th of this month...I'm not paying and supporting them and being TOLD what and what not to do Evil or Very Mad
Mrs Cachu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wolf Pack wrote:
PengoFamily wrote:
I am in the process of writing an email to Bryan. It is not finished yet but I have to state my stance and I don't agree with what is going on over on those forums. I have told Bryan in the past that moderators should be rotated or it becomes a dictatorship. I think they are trying to control way too much.
And we have decided not to renew our premium membership. It is up for renewal in about 10 days. 1 may not hurt, but if a lot do the same maybe it will count for something. At least it is our way of speaking up.

WTG Chatal I to am not renewing my membership either it is up on the 9th of this month...I'm not paying and supporting them and being TOLD what and what not to do Evil or Very Mad

If you really want to make a "statement" .....DON"T purchase any more tracking numbers!! Premium membership $$ are a very small percentage of their yearly revenue in comparison to the $$ they generate from tracking numbers Wink
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: very interesting reply from GS Reply with quote

this from one of the "big guys"

>>As for the coin forum. The moderator did what we instructed them to. The sig link to the other forum is not allowed. You were suspended because you changed your sig line after it was stated that it was not allowed. I am sorry but the suspension you were given will remain. When it is over you will be allowed back in the forums. <<

now folks, i do not recall reading anything on the other forum about THIS forum and links to it. was it discussed or just banished? was it stated a link was not allowed?

from FSM "1) In regards to all sig lines being looked at - we simply don't have the time. If there are ones that are brought to our attention, we take action on them."

well that's interesting. does that mean someone turned me in?! bummer.

and just in case - i am not bashing or whining about the main forum. i am sure i will continue to play there when i am allowed again.

i really gotta go to bed - think i said that a couple of hours ago. playing coins is time consuming but cool trades have been made.
ATMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my mousehole:

Groundspeak won't care. They don't have to. What has worked in the past for guidelines, no matter how it stifles discussion, will continue because of one overriding consideration: It works for them.

The mods are doing what GS wants. I don't think appealing to anyone will change things. I'm not saying that you ought not to do it if you feel it is something you should do. Sometimes taking a swing is as important as actually making a connection with that swing.

But do so knowing that the effort is what it is about.

I've already done my tilting at windmills, thank you. Got some satisfaction from knowing I said something but nothing changed.

Of course GS ain't gonna change: It's a business, period. Most of the forum areas are run pretty well in that there is not a bunch of bashing and over the top stuff.

So. You can discuss coins via email, at events, by tom-tom ifn's you want. But Groundspeak ain't gonna care a whole lot.

I am greatly heartened by this forum. Let's keep it OT, tidy and bash-free.

My thanks to the creator of it.

Let's talk about COINS!!!!

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.

Last edited by ATMouse on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
PengoFamily

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that my email probably won't change much but I feel that as a business GS should receive feedback from its consumers. Any email I have always sent I keep professional as I would to any company that I would contact. I don't feel the need to bash individuals in emails. I just give an opinion.

I would like to see more discussions of non trackables, trackables. I would like to feel like I can state an opinion about designs sometimes without being bashed. After all it is a subjective opinion. Like paintings or other forms of art. Can't please everyone all the time.

I know non trackables don't offer revenue like the trackables do but there are some really nice ones out there.

It would be nice to have a thread allowed for pathtags. They are a type of signature item and I know that some people that find them in caches may not frequent the pathtag forum. But having the pathtag forum is ok by me.

From my perspective I just find sometimes that the mods jump on some people faster than others. Maybe it is just timing when they are logged in....who knows. There are always 2 sides to every story but often we can't discuss that. Their job is not easy and I am not saying that I can do better. They have a thankless volunteer position. Just sometimes the perception is that they crack down hard and other times they do not.

That is enough ranting for me. Time to waddle back to my little iceburg and try and trade more coins and pathtags...ooo shiny bobbles...pretty. Smile
Tooey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
DresselDragons wrote:
[...I am confused...I thought that you could post links in your sig line

evidently not this particular link. i won't be home from work until this evening, so i do not know what fsm's response is to my questions.

Yeah one rule for some and another for others - I saw someone with a link to terraching in their sig line !

I have removed the premium/charter member only status from all of my caches, and for the caching that is available to me in this area - I don't need to pay for premium membership either, I will not be renewing it.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never hurts to write TPTB guys. Particularly about these two mods who have been in trouble before (one of them quite a few times from what hear). I won't go into details, but they've been called out before and I'm sure they will be again.

Groundspeak is a business, but they're going to learn a very harsh reality lesson in business if they continue down this path. It doesn't take a genius to realize there is a growing oportunity to build a competitive hitchhiker tracking site if they continue to try and surpress every open conversation going. http://www.travelertags.com/ is looking sweeter all the time...
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post that this site now has over 100 members....and a whole lot more lurkers I bet. Wink

I hope they keep on coming. Cool
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePetersTrio wrote:
Just wanted to post that this site now has over 100 members....and a whole lot more lurkers I bet. Wink

I hope they keep on coming. Cool

WOOT!! 101 members now keep up the great work Smile
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladebear68 wrote:

And would you have the GSA, The Coin Dropping Fairy, Creepy Crawley Cachers, Geo_Lephrechaun, The Geocoin Fairy, Hope - Idaho, Imagine, Highland Geofairy, The Geocaching Angel, The Dark Knight, Secret Santa, Geocoin Bunny, Geocoin Bug Esquire, Sinterklaas, Mouth of the South all declare who they are?

My apologies if I missed anyone out.

The purpose of creating this Forum is to have a place where coiners can meet up and discuss coins in an open and friendly environment. What difference does it make who started it, the difference is - it is here to be enjoyed or otherwise, if you don't like it here there are other places to go and talk about coins, the main one being the Groundspeak Geocoin discussion forum, I for one would rather not be there, for reasons that many people have already expressed on this board. I think it only natural that initially people will want to vent when they feel they have been constrained in the way that they have and it is only natural for folk to want to draw a comparison. I don't foresee it being an ongoing topic on these boards.

From all I have read so far, there has been a tremendous contribution of interesting and informative posts and I hope that you and others might wish to continue this trend. There is an off topic area, no special status required to post there, and feedback about what is wanted has been listened to and actioned. Personally I find that all very positive and encouraging and confirms to me that there was a need for such a forum.
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Grumbledor wrote:
ladebear68 wrote:

And would you have the GSA, The Coin Dropping Fairy, Creepy Crawley Cachers, Geo_Lephrechaun, The Geocoin Fairy, Hope - Idaho, Imagine, Highland Geofairy, The Geocaching Angel, The Dark Knight, Secret Santa, Geocoin Bunny, Geocoin Bug Esquire, Sinterklaas, Mouth of the South all declare who they are?

My apologies if I missed anyone out.

The purpose of creating this Forum is to have a place where coiners can meet up and discuss coins in an open and friendly environment. What difference does it make who started it, the difference is - it is here to be enjoyed or otherwise, if you don't like it here there are other places to go and talk about coins, the main one being the Groundspeak Geocoin discussion forum, I for one would rather not be there, for reasons that many people have already expressed on this board. I think it only natural that initially people will want to vent when they feel they have been constrained in the way that they have and it is only natural for folk to want to draw a comparison. I don't foresee it being an ongoing topic on these boards.

From all I have read so far, there has been a tremendous contribution of interesting and informative posts and I hope that you and others might wish to continue this trend. There is an off topic area, no special status required to post there, and feedback about what is wanted has been listened to and actioned. Personally I find that all very positive and encouraging and confirms to me that there was a need for such a forum.

I for one like it here.... I don't have to look over my shoulder to see who is going to taddle tail to the principal about what I have typed....
lorca.nl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read the post here and i understand that a some of you have a problem with the rules of GS forum.
i think that in some way it is treu that they are very controling what we say on that forum but somewhere I can understand that it is not permitted to make publicities for this forum.
if I were a car saleswoman i would also wants that someone buys its car at me then at another one.
but make publicities for this forum is also necessary and of course I will do that for this forum on my manner.
personally i think that it is better if we let everyone say free what they wants to say.
of course here also complaining and moaning belong to of people who have experienced something annoying.
as cachers we most listen to eachother in good and bad times.
the only thing that I can say is that there where you come always somebody do something what you does not please but it is still you who decides whether you read it or not and what you response is.
I am simply happy that we have a forum here where we concerning everything that has to do whit cachen. or it nou concerning coins, tb `s or pathtags, missions or cointest, or that it is happy talk or grumble.
everything is here open to discussion.
I believe that we can professor grumbledor grateful that he keep us toghter this way.
Toojin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorca.nl wrote:
<snip>
the only thing that I can say is that there where you come always somebody do something what you does not please but it is still you who decides whether you read it or not and what you response is.

Thank you lorca.nl !! This is very well said and always a good point.

And yes I have mostly decided not to read the other forum because I sometimes did not like my response.
BVnLJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
i am wondering, was anyone else suspended for having that link in their sig line?

lara

Well I just got a three day suspension for putting it in my sig line, course I don't say much so no biggie there Wink
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVnLJ wrote:
RedShoesGirl wrote:
i am wondering, was anyone else suspended for having that link in their sig line?

lara

Well I just got a three day suspension for putting it in my sig line, course I don't say much so no biggie there Wink

LOL!

i guess i didn't take it out of my sig line fast enough. this is the latest from FSM.

>>I saw that you did not remove the link in your signature line so I've had Groundspeak remove it.<<

i wrote him back said that i had done it earlier today. sheesh, i can't post so what is the big deal?

isn't it amazing how much this "link" thing seems to matter to GS? what on earth are they worried about?

rsg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse