Is this going to be a Whingefest? www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Is this going to be a Whingefest?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
map monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Is this going to be a Whingefest? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just read through most of these threads and their seems to be a sense of negativity towards some of the posts, especially towards the Groundspeak forum.

How about as a starting suggestion to a "new" site, that all the "crap" (for want of a better term) is left at the door and a fresh positive start happens. The "watch me get locked out of the other forum" posts is just spiteful and does not actually help to move forward and attract new members.

We should be better than that, and we do not need to go on about attacking the groundspeak forum...let it do its thing, and we can do our own thing.

Just my positive spin on the way forward. Razz

mm
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen brother!
ATMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coins, coins, coins...!

That's why I'm here.

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is this going to be a Whingefest? Reply with quote

map monkey wrote:
Hi guys,

I just read through most of these threads and their seems to be a sense of negativity towards some of the posts, especially towards the Groundspeak forum.

How about as a starting suggestion to a "new" site, that all the "crap" (for want of a better term) is left at the door and a fresh positive start happens. The "watch me get locked out of the other forum" posts is just spiteful and does not actually help to move forward and attract new members.

We should be better than that, and we do not need to go on about attacking the groundspeak forum...let it do its thing, and we can do our own thing.

Just my positive spin on the way forward. Razz

mm

Welcome Map Monkey,

I would agree with most of what you have said, although I think being locked out of the Groundspeak Forums is the spiteful part and unecessary, however, as you say they can play their way and we will play ours. I think it only natural that people have come here and expressed feelings that they have no other outlet for doing so. I do not foresee it being an ongoing trend. Most people concerned have had their say and I think things will move on from there in a more positive way.

I am disappointed that your overall view is one of negativity, I have seen lots of interesting posts, informative and positive in nature and discussions that, for one reason or another, would not be allowed elsewhere.

I hope that you and many others will return and make a contribution to what I hope will remain a place where open and frank discussions can take place.
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MM,

Just give it a little time and it'll calm down.

Right now there are a lot of ruffled feathers over what has happened as of late at the GC forums, but with time, I think it'll be fine!

Lots of anger, distrust and hurt feelings right now, though.

Time is an excellent healer!

Naomi Smile
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any cheese to go with my whine? Wink

Yes the wounds are still fresh they will heal... we will move on to another victim Embarassed I mean topic Twisted Evil [/code]
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has already been said that there are still a few fresh wounds , And a few people that may be drunk with freedom. But I think there has been a lot of really good topic especially in the design and question areas .
I also think that almost every one will continue to go to the main forum. It is the main source for all our geocaching.
Teenagers sometime rebel against there parents but it doesn't mean they don't care. I think this board will hopefully bridge the gap on a few topics that cant be talked about on the big forum or that need a fresh place to talk about something . I think this forum was from a idea in a discussion on a topic that was originally closed .

I hope you give it a closer look ..
This was not made to be a negative place just a open and truthful one and if there is some negativity in some of that openness sometimes then hopefully it was needed . Negative things happen in life. So they will happen here.

Also a thing to remember is that the main forum is sometimes so dramatic you need popcorn and a good chair to watch it all.
TeamAmaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wolf Pack wrote:

Yes! I think mine shipped out today, yay!
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeamAmaroo wrote:
The Wolf Pack wrote:

Awwww that is so much better mmmmmmmmmm cute coin!!!!!!!!
I need one of those cause I whine ALOT lol
maldar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeamAmaroo wrote:
The Wolf Pack wrote:

Now I have to make a wine and a cracker coin to go along with the cheese coin.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say wine? *runs to get glass* Laughing
map monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is this going to be a Whingefest? Reply with quote

Professor Grumbledor wrote:
I am disappointed that your overall view is one of negativity, I have seen lots of interesting posts, informative and positive in nature and discussions that, for one reason or another, would not be allowed elsewhere.

That is not what i said at all, rather it is "towards some of the posts". Confused However it cannot be denied that there is several members who have issues that they cannot let go of. Attacking moderators of the GS forum here is just negative, and it doesnt allow for any defence of any accusations (we all know that there is no chance that those moderators would want to appear here due to a conflict of interest), so it far better to just let things go IMO. As i said before, a community develops from strong values, not a sense of spite, negativity or inuendo etc.

A classic example are that several threads start off with negative comments towards the other forum and/or moderators, with ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to do this in order to discuss the topic at hand.

If you aren't happy with the standards of the GS forum, why should we start up another one with equally questionable standards? (rhetorical question somewhat). By all means discuss your pathtags, sig items, how to find a good minter, etc....just please don't stoop to a level of bitterness which could drive prospective members away. Think about what you want to say, write it clearly, then think about it again from a third party perspective.

We were all new coiners once (and some of us are still learning Wink ), and i believe that we need to encourage others to this forum with positive postings, otherwise i give it 6 months. Shocked Sad

Those that know me (less than a handful here fortunately/unfortunately Laughing ) would know that i don't know the GS moderators or staff from a bar of soap, and therefore am not defending them for any actions, rather that i like to be optimistic in my approach to all things in life, and endeavour to control any anger in my postings. Razz

Maybe it's time to look at the culture here and decide early on if it is the BEST for the forum.

mm, the eternal optimist Razz
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map Monkey ~ I think you make some very good points and I tend to agree with what you say in general. I too don't want to see this place become a free-for-all to attack the other place or target specific individuals in a mean-spirited way. Even if a poster feels it is justified, there is simply no reason to stoop to that level, IMHO.

That being said, I also agree that many people here have some pent up frustrations over situations on the other board and so it's only natural that finally being given a place to vent those freely that this is bound to happen.

I think that venting will reduce with time and healing and you will come to find a more positive atmosphere here. And you can certainly add to that if you wish (and I hope that you will) by your on-going participation here. Very Happy

People are human thus opinions both positive and negative are going to be expressed. Message boards often allow for people to express themselves in ways they maybe wouldn't in face-to-face contacts, so a certain amount of negativity is to be expected from time to time. Heck all you have to do is read some of the threads in the general section at Groundspeak and you will see that on a daily if not hourly basis.

All I'm saying is please do not judge this board in its first few weeks...give it time for the frustration to die down, then see what you think. Fair enough?
map monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great response PTP,

What i am saying basically is what needs to be said.......rather than let it drag on and possibly ruin another forum. Setting a good example, without wielding the big stick early on, is the balance of any new forum.

I understand people feel the need to vent, it's just that we still need to think about how to go about it. Laughing "We" need to unconsciously decide if this forum is set up to complain about GS, or rather to discuss geocoins etc in a friendly environment. As a case in point, our Geocaching Australia forum has a good section for "Trackables" now, without the need to mention negativity towards GS at all (BTW half the moderators are good looking as well Razz ) This section was set up without the problems i see developing here, with every posting being more or less positive in its nature, and no attacks on others. Us Aussies could quite well complain about lots of things (postage of coins, exchange rates, etc) however we tend to just move on and discuss them in a friendly way.

I understand that the venting may reduce over time, however there is the need to mention what i said, and the need to understand that what develops from this type of discussion "can" influence the culture of the community here.

mm
Tooey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points and hopefully the over riding passion here will be about coins, their design, the trading and selling of etc.

Not entirely fair to draw a comparison with a another forum that has been established since 2003 though Rolling Eyes , but I hear what you are saying, as has been stated already I think the initial rush of folk wanting to vent is over. I think things will settle down now sooner rather than later. We are here for the coins, the round and shiny, the shaped and glittery, the trackable and non trackable - that's why I'm here Very Happy
map monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooey wrote:
Not entirely fair to draw a comparison with a another forum that has been established since 2003 though Rolling Eyes , but I hear what you are saying,

The Trackable section was only established around February this year, with old threads migrated across to it, so it is a good example IMO. Razz

Thanks for your response

mm
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

map monkey wrote:

however there is the need to mention what i said

mm

Well..... no..... not really lol because the "Whingefest" had stoped before you posted and moved on to another topic Smile

So this thread started a new "Whingefest" LMAO Very Happy

Welcome to the forum Smile
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing this topic and keep thinking . We should have a WING fest. Who wants to meet in Buffalo??
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm...now I'm hungry....
ATMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geocachingdragon wrote:
I keep seeing this topic and keep thinking . We should have a WING fest. Who wants to meet in Buffalo??

I'm 2 hrs from the Anchor Bar!

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
Cheesy Pigs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

map monkey wrote:
*snippetty* As a case in point, our Geocaching Australia forum has a good section for "Trackables" now, without the need to mention negativity towards GS at all (BTW half the moderators are good looking as well Razz ) *snip*

Awww aren't you sweet?! Embarassed You're not that bad either though Map Monkey Laughing Razz
map monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome

mm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse