WAP logging www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

WAP logging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Geo Reference Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you know about WAP logging?
Yes
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
No
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 20

Tooey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: WAP logging Reply with quote

Want to enter a WAP log for a cache or a traveller, you can do it here
http://wap.geocaching.com/

Don't know what a WAP log is? From the above link you get to log on, then you can select which kind of log entry you wish to make, you get some very basic fields to fill in, hit enter and your log is made - but the cache/coin/traveller owner does not get the notification email of the entry.

It is particularly useful for logging discoveries of coins at large events, it prevents the owner from receiving multiple discovery notices in their email. Which is possibly why a lot of people ask that their coins do not go to events. If only they knew about WAP logging........ Laughing
Smort78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:
WAP is an open international standard for application layer network communications in a wireless communication environment. Its main use is to enable access to the Internet (HTTP) from a mobile phone or PDA.

A WAP browser provides all of the basic services of a computer based web browser but simplified to operate within the restrictions of a mobile phone, such as its smaller view screen. WAP sites are websites written in, or dynamically converted to, WML (Wireless Markup Language) and accessed via the WAP browser.

The mail purpose with the WAP page is to log the caches at the cache site with a mobile phone...
The Klever Boys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WAP logging Reply with quote

Tooey wrote:
Want to enter a WAP log for a cache or a traveller, you can do it here
http://wap.geocaching.com/

...the cache/coin/traveller owner does not get the notification email of the entry.
It is particularly useful for logging discoveries of coins at large events, it prevents the owner from receiving multiple discovery notices in their email

Is this lack of notification a bug, or done deliberately for the reasons quoted above...anyone sure, as presumably the same applies to caches?

Russ
Tooey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is a bug, it's just because it is a stripped down version of the code for use with mobile phones, less data to handle and all that. It just happens to be a very convenient back door for coin discovery logs that prevents the coin owner being swamped with notifications.
coreynjoey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about the discovering of coins using wap! Wow, learn something new everyday!
maldar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, here's a way to log caches that require things I dislike. I had a cache owner that deleted my log multiple time because I didn't trade a coin with a coin. As a traveler owner I disagree with having to trade even for coins and TB that are active. I want coins to move not stand still.
Steinwälzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use WAP logging when I am on a journey or otherwise away from my home computer. As I don't like writing long logs on my pda I usually just log coins and TBs via WAP and log the caches when I am back home at my "real" computer. This way I can write good logs and can log travellers immediately so that other cachers know what is in that cache!
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a wap fan, but I do use Opera's cell phone browser. It's quick, easy, and a very fast browser on my cell phone, but I think that it might be better here in Europe as it doesn't matter which carrier you use!

We use the wap on occasion, but I really prefer the opera browser instead!

Only use wap to log coins and FTF Wink

Naomi
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use WAP when not able to use a "proper" computer.

But as I'm for some reason not able to use the enter key (anykey), I usually just log short and edit it back home.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it, but I'm intrigued now!
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
Never heard of it, but I'm intrigued now!

Next time you want to log your finds and www dot GC dot com is down or very slow, try wap.geocaching.com

You'll need to know the waypoint number though...

I have a device which is a mini Computer, works as phone and for e-mails.
I can go online with it but most of the time I'm to impatient for the pages to build up, it's soooooooooooo slow.
But to check e-mails and aswer them is easy. Also sending text messages to mobil phones.

I actually got for caching, but thats not really possible, so I'll cancel the contract next possibillity I get.

Regards, ElliPirelli

edit to take out that wrong link...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Geo Reference Library All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse