Welcome www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Welcome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen

A most auspicious occasion occurred this week, and if you are reading this then you may guess I am referring to the opening of the coinmatters forum.

I have been silenced by Groundspeak, I will not be silenced. I will have my say and I will be counted and so will you.

Thank you all for joining me here, Grumbledor's Army grows every hour. I hope your posts are interesting and informative for all so that you, the troops, will want to return again and again.

Happy Caching
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say what happened with your silencing by Groundspeak? Were you permanently banned? Shocked

BTW - thanks for this place. I like it so far. The freedom is exhilarating. Wink
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eartha saw that I had posted 'an opinion' - sock puppet accounts are not allowed to have opinions. In fact they state that sock puppet accounts are not allowed at all, full stop.

I was endeavouring to establish another Mystery persona, although looking in the forum recently there would appear to be a plethora of Mystery Coiners, so perhaps we don't need another one right now. If you go to my profile page you can list from there all of the posts (6) that I made before being silenced.

Two posts were made from the Professors account that I would have been more than happy making from my 'regular' account, a little oversight on my part, having logged into gc.com from my regular account and linked to the forums I failed to notice that I was still logged into the forums as Professor Grumbledor. I explained this to Eartha and was advised to write an appeal to Groundspeak which I did. I got an initial response saying I hadn't given enough background detail - so I tried to explain in more detail and copied the exchange I had had with Eartha and since then silence. Initially they did say I could have my money back - it's not about the money, it's the principle of the matter.

When all is said and done a large proportion of accounts the world over are sock puppets - I don't know you from Adam, and you don't know me. I can understand that from an Admin point of view they would not want to be flooded with nefarious sock puppets, but it is a relatively simple process to 'manage' these - I know how, now that I have created this forum !

I have also witnessed other members having their posts edited, deleted, posting rights banned, threads moved or closed without so much as a please or thankyou and generally speaking feel that Eartha and FSM are all too quick to jump in and wield their authority where it isn't wanted or needed. They also give opinions, when they have their own accounts with which to do so, as moderators they should be impartial IMO. I know that moderating can be a difficult role - but it is my belief that it isn't necessary. Treat us like adults and hopefully the majority of us will behave like adults. Treat us like children and some are likely to start throwing their toys out of the pram.

My apologies for banging on, I wanted to give as complete an account as possible.

I hope everyone will enjoy the freedom on this board, and use it responsibly so that it is a fun place to visit.

Thank you for reading.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does seem the geocoin forum is pretty restrictive. for example, why can't we discuss non-trackable coins where we bought them. someone said they liked the kokopelli moab silver, i said it was still readily available a lot cheaper than ebay and gave the link to the coin. the link was edited out because it was a non-trackable.

i suppose it is because non-trackables do not make money for groundspeak.

and when did groundspeak get to be so bloody money-hungry!

this is not a rant, really but questions i am not comfortable asking on the GC forum.

why do tracking numbers cost $1.50 extra. does it cost that much to track them on gc.com?

i have more questions, but will hold off for now!

thanks for the invite to the folks that invited!

rsg
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the invite and the freedom of speech....I feel like a little school girl running around saying YIPPY!!!!!! Laughing

PengoFamily

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow!! I hope they did not ban you permanently??? There are socks created for mystery coiners all the time and that is never an issue.

I am glad to be here. It's nice that we can have a discussion about coin related stuff that we are not allowed to in the main forum.
meretean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new to geocaching and coin stuff, and I just thought this looked like a nifty place when I found it listed on another forum.

I haven't posted a lot on the big forum, so I haven't experienced any problems there. But I guess I like more intimate places Wink

me
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meretean wrote:
Hello all,

I'm new to geocaching and coin stuff, and I just thought this looked like a nifty place when I found it listed on another forum.

I haven't posted a lot on the big forum, so I haven't experienced any problems there. But I guess I like more intimate places Wink

me

Welcome meretean to this crazy addiction you sure you don't want to run now? lol naaaaaa lol It is fun (expensive) Shocked but fun lol

You get to meet and trade with alot of great people Smile
meretean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found all of 5 caches - waiting for one mystery find to be approved and I forgot to list two I found at a meet last year.

I found my first travel bug last week - not the one I expected though. I have to wait for a tourist to get home and list that he dropped it before I can find it and drop it elsewhere.

But the coins!
I like small shiny things, and I've been a member of the geocoinclub for two years. I don't have a big collection - but I'm NOT telling you how much I spent on eh bay the last 30 days Embarassed

I don't even have a seek list!
But I wrote out my trade list yesterday, so at least I'm getting there.

Coins - yeah Smile
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Grumbledor wrote:
Eartha saw that I had posted 'an opinion' - sock puppet accounts are not allowed to have opinions. In fact they state that sock puppet accounts are not allowed at all, full stop.

That's really strange, I know of a lot of sock puppets...
Even I have one to organise my coins. Laughing Laughing Laughing

So did they bann your regular account as well? And what exactly are the consequenses of a banning? Can't you log your cachefinds either?

I find this all really strange, but then again. Thank you for an organised forum, it's so much nicer over here than in the Big Blue!

Kind regards, ElliPirelli
Frozen Buns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: avatar size Reply with quote

OK, need a little help here, My avatar from the (other place ) doesn't fir here. have linked to photobucket would would like to clarify size and easiest way to adjust original to fit herre. thanks and looking forward to all the fun.

Can't say I miss the old place at all Smile
Tooey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: avatar size Reply with quote

Frozen Buns wrote:
OK, need a little help here, My avatar from the (other place ) doesn't fir here. have linked to photobucket would would like to clarify size and easiest way to adjust original to fit herre. thanks and looking forward to all the fun.

OK I tried uploading mine, didn't like it as the file was too big, so I used the windows picture editor to resize it, uploaded it again and linked to the url and it accepts it. I still think it's a bit big, but unless I get a complaint I shall leave it the size it is.

Edited to add - forgot to say but the file needs to be 9kb or less.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: avatar size Reply with quote

Tooey wrote:
Frozen Buns wrote:

OK I tried uploading mine, didn't like it as the file was too big, so I used the windows picture editor to resize it, uploaded it again and linked to the url and it accepts it. I still think it's a bit big, but unless I get a complaint I shall leave it the size it is.

Edited to add - forgot to say but the file needs to be 9kb or less.

i have never figured out how to get a decent looking avatar at 9kb or less, even jpegging down to 1! so i just keep it in my flickr gallery and link to it. so much easier.

lara
Toojin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woot !! 200 registered users !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse