more censoring on geocoin forum www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

more censoring on geocoin forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
it is simply a case of too much power and a weak and rigid personality

Are personal attacks really necessary? It doesn't help your cause.
Maybe you got her on a 'bad day' ~ you said yourself she got you on a 'bad day' ~ it happens.

I disagree with what happened in the initial thread it shouldn't have been closed and the matter could have been handled in a PM or email. Sometimes the hand is heavy on the GC forums. But the subsequent 2-year old belly-aching post was just ridiculous. I chuckled when I first read it, I thought it was in jest... but I guess it wasn't. Groundspeak is a company for profit, their forums are their private property, they are entitled to censor whatever they wish... it isn't good PR but that's their problem.

Glad to see no rules here! No rules, rules! Except when your post gets expunged! Wink
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avroair wrote:
Groundspeak is a company for profit, their forums are their private property, they are entitled to censor whatever they wish... it isn't good PR but that's their problem. ...

not exactly private property when the premium memberships support them. when they first started, i was one of the charter members. the forum servers needed more of whatever they needed and so premium memberships were put in place to support the forums and geocaching dot com. it was all in good harmoney, support your forums. jeremy, hurrah, kind of thing, because jeremy was supporting the whole thing.

funny thing, a charter member is one who there from the beginning, donating money etc. but in their infinite wisdeom, groundspeak decided that i could no long be a charter member because i let my premium membership lapse after some surgery.

still doesn't change the definition of charter member as one who was an original member. but there you have it.

i don't mind that it is a business, but such behavour from the mods, bites the hands that feed them.

the second thread i started - i was pissed off. but still spoke words of truth. i need to control that better, the pissed off part.

rsg
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering if a answer was givin if the coins and pins asked for the tread to be closed or not. I really doubt if they did i know Aaron doesn't promote his stuff on there but has no problem with people talking about his coins especially in a positive discussion , as that was . I think they were still on Presale at the time and it would have helped sales. He has high Morals but he is not crazy. I also think it was over the line.
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted in the other forum in support of the original being wrongly closed . I doubt i need it but do you know any good Vacation spots.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Avroair"]Groundspeak is a company for profit, their forums are their private property, they are entitled to censor whatever they wish... it isn't good PR but that's their problem. [quote]

Actually, that's not precisely true. A "forum", by definition, is an assembly for the discussion of questions of public interest.

The moment it becomes censored, it ceases to be a forum. It is now a one-sided dictation or rant. It takes two to discuss anything.
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining the charter member thing to me, I was wondering what that is... (Maybe paying more than the 30 Bucks a year? Laughing)

Well, I've stated my opinion on the matter already, nothing has changed there.
I won't post in the subsequent thread, many much more well choosen word were written to RSG's support.

The closing of the second thread was requested in the opening post, no surprise it was closed immediately... That's what mods do, close threads on OPs request... Wink

On another note, I'm surprised, that only when there's wind in the face at the Big Blue, this forum get's more postings.
It's a bit like: Well, I'm not allowed to say what I like to say there, so I'll say it here. Geo.error had put it nicely. Just talk about a new, not your own coin here! Noone will ever mind, exept maybe the designer, who wanted to make the announcement himself... Rolling Eyes

I do like that we can go off on tangents here, which are so not coin-related, but fun!
I get a feeling of getting people to "know" much better this way!

Again, just my 2 € cents... Smile

ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElliPirelli wrote:
Thanks for explaining the charter member thing to me, I was wondering what that is... (Maybe paying more than the 30 Bucks a year?
ElliPirelli

Actually, the only difference between charter member and premium member is whether you decided to be premium from the outset. If you started off as a member then became a premium member you are labeled a premium member. If you become premium immediately then you are a charter member. I am not sure if that still remains true today.

Quote:
The closing of the second thread was requested in the opening post, no surprise it was closed immediately... That's what mods do, close threads on OPs request...

LMAO! The irony!

Quote:
The moment it becomes censored, it ceases to be a forum. It is now a one-sided dictation or rant. It takes two to discuss anything.

I see your point, in a pure sense, but nothing is black and white as a forum. I intent and meaning are often lost in the typing. We are reading words, that sometimes when we re-read we see different meanings etc. I think the situation could have been handled better on both ends.

You mean you have never had a discussion with yourself Chris!?! Laughing Not even when in designing mode! Razz Cool Laughing
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avroair wrote:
Actually, the only difference between charter member and premium member is whether you decided to be premium from the outset. If you started off as a member then became a premium member you are labeled a premium member. If you become premium immediately then you are a charter member. I am not sure if that still remains true today.

as soon as premium memberships became available i bought one. even groundspeak told me that i was a charter member in the beginning of the forums. but because i had let my premium membership lapse at one point, i could no longer be called charter. i mean it is a silly point. but it goes against the definition of "charter." as in other things, they decide on their own interpretation of things.

i guess it comes down to i don't like what groundspeak has become. so it is my choice to pay the money again, or not. i can still cache and collect coins without it.

rsg
Tooey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose not to renew my membership in July, so my profile shows that I am an ordinary member, strangely on the forums I still show as a premium member - though I wonder for how long now this has been posted Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:

i guess it comes down to i don't like what groundspeak has become. so it is my choice to pay the money again, or not. i can still cache and collect coins without it.
rsg

Certainly, very different from when I started caching, I remember we used to be able to open and close our own threads! Laughing Talk about the possibility for abuse! Twisted Evil Geocoins also changed and I guess I chose to deal with it rather than walk way. They can have my $29, I get more out of caching than the monetary value.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avroair wrote:

Quote:

I see your point, in a pure sense, but nothing is black and white as a forum. I intent and meaning are often lost in the typing. We are reading words, that sometimes when we re-read we see different meanings etc. I think the situation could have been handled better on both ends.

You mean you have never had a discussion with yourself Chris!?! Laughing Not even when in designing mode! Razz Cool Laughing

Oh, I talk to myself all the time! How else would me, myself and I get everything done? Laughing
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing i am finding so very interesting in the discussion about the closing of the angel coin thread, is eartha is talking about me, but i am NOT friggin' allowed to answer back.

>>Coin discussion is great. Posting a thread however, that sounds like coin announcement should be done by the vendor, or the designer. Otherwise it can come back and bite you in the derriere<<

there is NOTHING in the guidelines that says this. absolutely nothing.

>>If you want to discuss the coin, please feel free to discuss it, but don't smart mouth a moderator publicly and bring your own thread downhill. And don't make it sound like you are announcing a sale that you are not involved in, see above reasons.<<

i did not make it sound as if I WAS announcing the bloody coin. sheesh, that was her prejudiced interpretation.

eartha is NOT MY PARENT. i am a grown person, and if i want to say "whatever" to her post, then that is my business. since when do mods get to act as parents of recalcitrant children. WE ARE NOT CHILDREN! adults are allowed to say what they want, within reason. forums are for discussions pro and con. not all sweetness and light.

she has told me i was NOT banned for that post, but rather for the second one. hey, i get that. but as soon as i am unbanned, i am posting about the coin, again.

>>Again, I will not discuss a warning given to another forum poster, in public or with those not involved, but the warning was not issued for that thread. You do not see what goes on behind the scenes, it's not all public, and I am not going to post in here what went on. That's private.<<

well then i will. i was not warned. she is not posting what went on behind the scenes because NOTHING went on behind the scenes. she decided the angel coin discussion was going downhill, and closed it for her own retribution reasons as so many others have said because i was a little "mouthy."

oh well.

if eartha treated me and the rest of us with the same respect she is demanding of us, this would not have happened.

i'll admit publically, because of her behaviour now and in the past, i do not have any respect for her and it is very difficult for me to pretend otherwise. but if she feels that saying "whatever" to her "handslapping" in public is out of line, then oh well again.

what-friggin'ever.

anyone want to copy and paste this to the other board, feel free. but watch out, you can join me on vacation.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and one more thing:

the thread was NOT closed until i told eartha if coins and pins didn't like my post, then they could say something, it was their call not hers since there is nothing in the guidelines that prohibits such discussions and as she called it, announcements.

the whole thing sucks. it is dividing people and making the issue bigger than it was to begin with. all she had to do was keep her nose out of it! if her opinion carries no greater weight than mine then why could she close the thread?

i wish more of us would post over here, because it is simply a place where one can breathe without having to worry about parent-mods taking care of things.

we can police ourselves.

rsg is going to bed early and play solitaire on her nintendo ds.
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
Avroair wrote:

Quote:

Oh, I talk to myself all the time! How else would me, myself and I get everything done? Laughing

In his last sermon, our prist calles this the difference between the body and soul.
The soul is the caller, tells the body, what to do.
But the body is the maker, and not always following orders.

Like I know, chocolate will add to my hips, and decide not to eat any. But then, there is chocolate in front of me, or hidden away in a cupboard, and still I go and eat the whole bar.
Well, it's just the maker not listening to the caller... Laughing

Sorry, RSG, to hear you play solitaire...
Why not make new sig items, gets your thoughts to a different topic.

We here in Germany have an alternate platform for geocaching: Opencaching.de, so noone "needs" Groundspeak.
But I hate the design of that site, it totally confuses me. Also, the coordinates are openly availlable, noone needs to log in. That can lead to all kinds of abuse.
There are admittedly less caches listed there, than on GC, but whoever doesn't want to use the site has an alternative...

Anyway, I'm not logging all my caches on two sites, so I'm using geocaching.com only.

Off to walking the dogs, now....

ElliPirelli
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
if her opinion carries no greater weight than mine then why could she close the thread?

BINGO! DING-DING-DING!!!!!

That is the problem and has been for some time. Using mod power (and action) to add weight to an opinion that they insist has no greater weight. I've been through this a couple times already for the exact same reason. It must be awful nice to have the power to ignore ugly little things like the truth Wink

They keep forgetting the simplest part of all this. That rule is required of ALL the participants in the forums. THAT INCLUDES MODS!!! You don't demand respect, you earn it. You don't earn by being disrespectful or abusing your power. You certainly don't earn it by acting self-righteous. When 90% of the people in a crowded room tell you that you've acted badly then you should consider the possibility that you have. To do otherwise is insulting to everyone in the room and only demeans yourself. Dont' treat us like children while acting childish and then bully us when things don't go your way.

I have nothing against any of the mods personally and have in fact learned a thing or two due to their efforts. I hope no one mistakes my vociferous objections to their actions as anything other than a plea for the good of the community. I remember the days before Mods acted this way when you would log in and see dozens and dozens and dozens of people logged in. Now I'm lucky to see 10 or 12. That's not coincidence, that's a pattern. Sad
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedShoesGirl wrote:
...but as soon as i am unbanned, i am posting about the coin, again.

Laughing Just saw the new thread. LOVE the subtitle Razz
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing OMG, my stomach hurts from laughing!!!
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUOTE(fox-and-the-hound @ Nov 14 2008, 08:10 AM)

Who made them?

I loved this one when i saw it..
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a short bann!

The new thread is so angelic! Laughing Laughing Laughing In more than one way!
I nearly need a bucket, to catch all that Schmalz... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's taking it too far and showing a lot of immaturity, personally.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mousekakat wrote:
I think it's taking it too far and showing a lot of immaturity, personally.

well, no one has ever accused me of being mature. i am poking fun at them.

rsg
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are, Lara, but it's just ending up with you looking really bad instead of anything else Sad
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mousekakat wrote:
I know you are, Lara, but it's just ending up with you looking really bad instead of anything else Sad

i know you are concerned, but truly, i don't give a flying duck how i look to others. you that know me, know i am not being mean, but just exposing the way the other forum doesn't work well.

comes from being a journalist, always looking to investigate and show the inequities of some things.

it's ok!

rsg
Tooey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Miss Jen

I’ll specifically point out to any who may have missed it that Eartha and FSM were acting with the intention of protecting more innocent people from getting raked over the coals unnecessarily.

OK someone in the past maybe got the short end of the stick because they posted about a new coin - and it didn't get delivered or materialise or something - RSG's post was about a coin from Coins & Pins - a company who as far as I know have never had any 'issues' with any coins.

And yes we can all be a little childish at times, IMO Eartha started this one - and unfortunately it has gone tit for tat, the only difference being is that Eartha has the power to pull the plug, which she did - and that only adds fuel to the fire.

I haven't seen RSG post anything mean or hurtful, more playful banter than anything and I saw it as bringing some humour to a situation that had everyone spinning in circles over and made a point - in a light and fun way, some may see that as childish but it is difficult to guage these things from the written word on a screen. Communication is a lot more than just words, and this format is one of the easiest for communication to be missinterpreted.

Just my two pennies worth.
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tooey i will send you three cents that was worth at least a nickel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse