Metals www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Metals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Metals Reply with quote

So I've read somewhere that antique bronze plating and antique gold plating look virtually the same. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
BRoKeNW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am holding one of each metal. While they look similar the Ant. Bronze appears to be more yellow and dull compared to the Ant. Gold.

My Seeking List

My Trader list
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRoKeNW wrote:
I am holding one of each metal. While they look similar the Ant. Bronze appears to be more yellow and dull compared to the Ant. Gold.

That is very helpful. Thank you. I'm kicking myself for not getting a sample of my coin in ant. gold now. I got the polished gold and the satin gold - but not the ant. gold. Confused
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antique gold is "darker" than antique bronze. I had samples of my Feather made in ant bronze, ant gold, ant silver, ant nickel, ant copper & black nickel. I chose ant gold over ant bronze because it was more what I was looking for (totally undefinable...) than the bronze. Ant silver is nice but I was surprised at how cool the ant nickel turned out. I was looking for something called "brushed black nickel" but the mint that made the Feather apparently did not do brushed black nickel so I went with the ant nickel which turned out great!

I tend to prefer antiqued finishes to polished finishes and would prefer matte or satin finishes to polished as well. I think it has something to do with the fingerprint issue. They show up much less on antiqued & satin finishes than they do on polished coins. I have some coins I touched only once & have fingerprints on them that I just cannot get to go away! Non-polished finishes help prevent this from happening.

CF30
Theotokos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowesfeat30 wrote:
*snip* Ant silver is nice but I was surprised at how cool the ant nickel turned out. *snip*
CF30

That is very good to know and I will keep it in mind. I never bothered with AN as I thought it would look pretty much the same as the antique silver.
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought they would be too but truly they are very different. In this pic:

the top feather is antique nickel, the third is antique silver (the other two, ant copper & ant gold) and the ant nickel is darker, kinda shimmery and the ant silver is almost matte & lighter. Two very different effects - both nice. Smile

CF30
BRoKeNW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowesfeat30 wrote:
Well, I thought they would be too but truly they are very different. In this pic:

the top feather is antique nickel, the third is antique silver (the other two, ant copper & ant gold) and the ant nickel is darker, kinda shimmery and the ant silver is almost matte & lighter. Two very different effects - both nice. Smile

CF30

The antique nickel feather is stunning!

My Seeking List

My Trader list
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you bother getting samples made for every coin? If you do, do you get the samples couriered to you to have a look, or just get the mint to email you photos?

I've been working with CinemaBoxers for what seems like forever to get my coin done. Jim suggested Antique Nickel, Antique Gold and Polished Gold for my coin and said that samples were a waste of time and money.
Theotokos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm..well the samples (6) + shipping for my personal coin were all part of the total price I was originally quoted. If I wanted more samples I could have had payed extra but six was enough. Tom suggested I do get the samples. He saw the coins and said they were nice but he wanted me to see them to make sure. The photos he sends do not always do justice to the coins.

Based on the pictures, I think I would have made a mistake with some metals so I was very glad to get them in hand. Granted it takes longer to get the coins done especially when they are sending stuff here to Canada...but I was very glad I did get them.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E&Cplus3 wrote:
Do you bother getting samples made for every coin? If you do, do you get the samples couriered to you to have a look, or just get the mint to email you photos?

I've been working with CinemaBoxers for what seems like forever to get my coin done. Jim suggested Antique Nickel, Antique Gold and Polished Gold for my coin and said that samples were a waste of time and money.

Well, I couldn't be happier that I ordered samples of my coin. I would have made a pretty big rookie mistake if I hadn't - I can already tell from the pictures and I don't have the samples in hand yet. I only got 4 samples and I wish I'd bought all 6 now.

Live and learn. Wink

One thing that helps take the sting out of buying samples is to get them to be part of your tracking lot (if you are making them trackable) and have the number put on them before they send them to you. That way you can keep them or sell them as 1-of-a-kind down the line. Some people are pretty willing to pay high prices for 1-of-a-kind coins on eBay.
tadpole379

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E&Cplus3 wrote:

I did my 2008 tadpoles with the CBs and I am glad I ordered samples even though they took forever, and then had to be redone. The CBs said hard and soft enamel translucents would look the same on a coin, and soft enamel was cheaper. I have seen both and told them I would really prefer hard enamel even if it cost more. The first set of samples, the mint use soft enamel translucent and the sample coins looked terrible! The mint made a new set of samples using hard enamels and the coins looked beautiful.
tadpole379

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on who you work with as your minter, a certain number of samples may be included in the price of minting. You may have to pay an extra shipping fee to have samples in hand instead of just a photo, but that may be worth it depending on your coin, since colors and even metals look very different in a photo than they do in hand.
ATMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, get samples...I have been in charge of the Allegany State Park GeoBash coins from the start. I'm working on our fourth one now.

Don't be afraid to ask for different things on your samples, either. I had one sample coin that had glitter on one side and not the other, I had different color enamels on different metals; really, the samples didn't look altogether that great, but I got to see the effect of each choice. So I said "Hmmm...I like this on this coin, but that on the other...And I really DON'T like this at all..."

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples, samples, samples!!! It's the only way to know for sure. I've found depending on who makes them and when that the bronze can be lighter or more often darker (and slightly green tinted) compared to gold. Because bronze is a mixed metal, the amounts and purity of the amounts of metals mixed can greatly alter the final color.

Last edited by fox-and-the-hound on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
BRoKeNW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will always get sample coins. It's just nice knowing how you coin is going to look in your hand, before you get the final products.

My Seeking List

My Trader list
maldar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say spend the money and get samples. Currently I'm working on my first coin and while I plan on only using 4 different plates, I'm having the mint send 6 different plates to me. This was due to a suggestion on the forums and that I wanted to see what another would look like.

maldar
ChanceRider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRoKeNW wrote:
Crowesfeat30 wrote:

CF30

The antique nickel feather is stunning!

LOL, while I was reading and looking, I was just thinking that the antique gold is stunning! Good thing there's room for everyone to have different opinions Smile. Beautiful, in any finish!
tadpole379

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at my coins, I cannot figure out which ones are gold and which ones are bronze. I keep a database and I will write down what they were listed for sale as if I have the info available, but I still cannot tell the difference. Even when I hold coins next to each other that are all supposed to be gold, or antique gold, they don't always look the same as each other. I am not sure why they vary so much?

The same thing goes with "nickel" and "silver". I see coins listed as one or the other, and to me, they all look the same. Chromium and rhodium look pretty much the same to me as nickel and silver.

Maybe it depends on which company minted the coins?
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the coin, I try to get a variety of samples.

I get at least one in Soft enamel, one in Imitation hard enamel.

Then the metals, I get one antique, one shiny, and a satin finish.

Then I make sure that I get those finishes in gold or bronze, silver or nickel and copper.

And I get a black nickel one.

That is only four samples! LOL

If I have a good idea what I really want, I will order those specifically.

I don't think they are a waste of time and money. The metal is a very important choice on a coin. You want to choose the metals that compliment your art.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors continuously change because every new batch of metal has slightly different quantities and qualities of mixed-metal. Bronze is any of a broad range of copper alloys, usually with tin as the main additive, but sometimes with other elements such as phosphorus, manganese, aluminium, or silicon so you can imagine why color varies.

Officially this is Bonjet Interanational's Metals:

Gold
Silver
Copper
Brass
Nickel
Chrome
Imitation Gilt (pale gold)
Black Nickel
Foggy Gold (Matte gold)
Foggy Silver (matte silver)
Sandblasted Gold
Sandblasted Silver
Antique Gold
Antique Silver
Antique Nickel
Antique Bronze
Antique Copper
Dyeing Black
Two-tone Gold/Silver
Sandblasted Antique Gold

There might be others by now but that's my sample chart.
WI_Robin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E&Cplus3 wrote:

Definetely get samples - in any variety that you are remotely thinking of making. I was really disappointed when I got the samples for my personals and was ready to ditch the whole project (I would have hated them even more if I had 250 of them). The Caching Place did a great job making changes to get the coin to be something that I really liked. I won't do an other coin without samples ever! Besides, it's fun to try out a few looks Very Happy .
DaFunkyFrogs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where we could find pictures of all the metal finishes available?
We have tried comparing different coins we have to see what the differences are, but like others have said, it's hard to tell the difference in some of them, especially if we aren't positive which finish it actually is.

Mousekakat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Bless Landsharkz Smile
DaFunkyFrogs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mousekakat wrote:
God Bless Landsharkz Smile

Thanks! That helps a lot. We had an idea of what finishes we wanted, but we like to be able to compare them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse