the reviewer coin trade on GS www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

the reviewer coin trade on GS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: the reviewer coin trade on GS Reply with quote

i am really wondering what someone would get out of trading a very good coin for one, like the reviewer coin (suggested on GS), that you can not adopt.

As one friend wrote me (paraphrased):
>>If this gets traded as suggested, it's a sad statement. ... Essentially they are trading for a discovery icon and a coin they can carry around, but never own or have in their list of owned coins.<<

What would be the purpose in that? Would YOU trade a beautiful tengwar coin for a reviewer coin that you can not "really" own?

i am interested in your thoughts.

rsg
L/GBOTS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a reviewer coin in our collection that we don't own. It was a gift from the reviewer for Utah Very Happy
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L/GBOTS wrote:
We have a reviewer coin in our collection that we don't own. It was a gift from the reviewer for Utah Very Happy

ok, but would you have traded a desirable trackable coin for it, if it had not been a gift and the person was no longer reviewing or even geocaching?

i am just trying to get a handle on this. thing. what makes a coin so desirable that one would trade something cool for it - and get not even the right to have it on their "own" list.

rsg
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont even want to tell you how many coins i traded for my moun10bike coin and i can never own that. If it is a cool coin and not a stolen item Its cool to trade for it. And lots of my most desired or favorite coins are non trackable so they would never appear on the icon list. Chocolate or vanilla just depends on what you like.
eltada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I really liked the reviewer coin, I would trade a cool coin for it. It wouldn't matter to me that it had someone else's name listed as the owner...as long as it was traded in fairness (ie: not stolen or traded against the owner's wishes, etc.).

I guess my question is - these coins, like Lemon Fresh Dog's geobones and the Moun10Bike coins, etc., are they still "owned" by the creator even if they are given to you? For example (perfectly hypothetical - I am not suggesting LFD would do this), LFD and I meet and he gives me a geobone and I give him a personal coin of mine. A year down the road, he decides to "recall" all of his coins and politely requests that people who he gave them to, send them back to him (for whatever reason). If I don't do that, he could technically mark it negatively (ie: change the title of the coin to whatever he wanted) as he is still technically the owner, right? If this is the case, would you still trade something for a coin like this, knowing that if the owner goes a bit cuckoo, you could "lose" the coin?

Do you understand what I am saying?

Check out my blog at: http://eltada.blogspot.com
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geocachingdragon wrote:
I dont even want to tell you how many coins i traded for my moun10bike coin and i can never own that. If it is a cool coin and not a stolen item Its cool to trade for it. And lots of my most desired or favorite coins are non trackable so they would never appear on the icon list. Chocolate or vanilla just depends on what you like.

i totally understand! i offered a small fortune in coins for a mountain bike that i didn't get, but ya know, i don't want one any longer.

there is something inherently arrogant about only giving a coin away "partly." or trying to control whether or not it is ever sold on e-bay. it's funny, the folks that trade these rarer coins, want coins that they can then sell to the highest bidder on ebay.

capitalism at its finest. nothing wrong with that!

but what if everyone activated their own coins in order to control what happened to them. and didn't adopt them over to new owners?

i kinda like what arthur and trillian used to say, a gift is yours to do with as you wish - or something to that effect, and i totally agree.

there are coins i used to have that were more rare than others, but as i have learned more about the original owners, i no longer want those coins, so i have gotten rid of most of them. for me, coins evoke an emotional response and if i have a coin that leaves a bad taste in mouth, so to speak, then i don't need to have it, no matter how rare.

now, here is a hypothetical question: someone offers you a moun10bike in trade - a trade for coin$ - on the condition that you never tell what kind of coin$ you u$ed for the trade.

you could have it in your collection, have it discovered, whatever, and no one would ever be the wiser. it wouldn't be locked by the activated owner - and if you could afford it, would you do it? does it matter?

as for the reviewer coin - i wouldn't trade nothing for it if the original owner would not adopt it to me.

rsg
map monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when can't we adopt Reviewer coins? Shocked Confused

Our local reviewer stated that he is quite happy to activate them, adopt them over if you need to activate it. What they won't do is give out the activation codes as they are all the same from what he said. Far enough i reckon. Cool

It sounds like individual Reviewers having their own standards for their geocoins.

mm
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

map monkey wrote:
Since when can't we adopt Reviewer coins? Shocked Confused

Our local reviewer stated that he is quite happy to activate them, adopt them over if you need to activate it. What they won't do is give out the activation codes as they are all the same from what he said. Far enough i reckon. Cool

It sounds like individual Reviewers having their own standards for their geocoins.

mm

we can adopt reviewer coins when they adopt them to us.

the owner of the coin in question is no longer a reviewer, no longer caching and will not adopt the coin over to someone else. someone ELSE if offering it for trade.

so what would you trade for that coin?

rsg
map monkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is a tricky one.... Laughing

I wouldn't trade for it, though i do already have one which may influence this decision. I would put this coin trade into the same category as a coin that is damaged as it has a problem which may come back to bite me. It is not free of problems and as such, the "value" should be less.

Have a great christmas. Cool

mm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse