eartha is at it again! www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

eartha is at it again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry geo.error, but here I can't agree.

Sock puppet accounts are frowned upon by GS.
No one slapped me yet, for my "coin administrator", but I know, they don't like it.
Why have our reviewers here in Germany apart from a few exceptions sock puppet accounts?
Why should a moderator have it?

In the Geoclub, the German Green Forum our mods use a different colour when moderating. Some do it in red, some in blue.
It is so rarely, mostly they move threads in a different area. But when they have to moderate, cause something is not as it should be, they just use a different colour, not a different account.

We all have nicks, that's true. Luckyly my nick didn't make it yet into Google, as my real name has. But then, we're not really secret, cause everyone who traded with me, has my address.
I still don't like it, when my Christian name is mentioned in the forums, and it rarely is. Well, Elli is shorter anyway.

But I'm not in favour of hiding behind a nick or worse, a sock puppet.

Imagine, you get along fine with cacher XYZ, and have at the same time an argument with cacher ABC. How would you feel, if later you find out, that they're the same person? Cause the cacher ABC is a sock puppet for moderating/reviewing/whatever of cacher XYZ.

No, I didn't know that Kealia is the same person as Flying Spagetti Monster.
I won't do anything with this information, being rarely over at the Big Blue, I have literally no contact with the mods. But still, I like to know this tidbit.

Moderators or reviewer shouldn't hide behind sock puppets, same as cachers who log SBA shouldn't ....
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a wild shot in the dark here, but I'm betting it's to offer some small amount of protection to the mods. If a mod bans you and you know who they are, then you could go take it out on them, their caches, etc. The last thing I want to see is a Mod not being able to enjoy caching or going to events for fear of some irate account owner getting in their face over some past posting. They're volunteering to be mods, but they shouldn't have to take grief outside the forum, too. Wink
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
If they behave correctly, noone will take offence.
It is only when they treat others unreasonable or unfairly, that offence is taken.
To hide behind a sock puppet, gives them all the power to treat others unfair. Cause then I can't have a chat with them at the next event.
Should I ever be in that area to actually visit an event.

This is a ridiculous argument, and just the thing why they do treat people unfairly in the first place. Because they can do so undetected. Well apart from TPTB, but they cover them.
Tooey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with mods having anonymity, but it is interesting to now know who FSM is, particularly after reading some of the posts made by his geocaching account.

I do have a problem with mods chipping in with their 2 cents, it is not what their mod accounts are for, if they have an opinion then they should state it on their own personal account, if they chose the wrong account to post with it is within their power to change it.

I also think mods should be rotated, there is too much familiarity and a perceived sense of favouritism. This has also been suggested to TPTB but it seems they are not interested in the views of their ordinary members. It's little wonder that they no longer allow polls, it would show too clearly how little they are prepared to actually listen and respond to their customers.
Tooey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moop Along wrote:
Nope. Cuz then I'd be no different from the people I'm trying to calm down Wink

Good try though.

I don't see any evidence of you trying to calm anything or anybody down.
Why bring it up at all, you're just raising a red rag by mentioning it, if you have anything constructive to contribute then do so.

As for vouching for Cav Scout being a nice person, someone who can smile at you face to face, is easy to talk to and might buy you a drink does not a nice person make, nice people don't make the kinds of comments I have seen him post in the forums. However pleasant you found his company to be you cannot refute what has been written, it is there for all to see and some of it does not make very pleasant reading.
geo.error

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
I'm taking a wild shot in the dark here, but I'm betting it's to offer some small amount of protection to the mods. If a mod bans you and you know who they are, then you could go take it out on them, their caches, etc. The last thing I want to see is a Mod not being able to enjoy caching or going to events for fear of some irate account owner getting in their face over some past posting. They're volunteering to be mods, but they shouldn't have to take grief outside the forum, too. Wink

This is what i mean..................

If i heard what some cachers do to each other..unbelievable.
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time it's FSM at it again...

During the night, it is 7.40 am over here, a mail came in of a new topic over in the Big Blue.

FSM closed the thread, as no non trackables are allowed to be discussed.
How ridiculous is that, they just wanted to highlight the stupidity of eBay customers...

he Finding Irish 4 has just posted a new topic entitled "Well I Guess There is One Born Every Minute" in forum "Geocoin Discussions".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
You just need to check this Geocoin salr out for yourself :unsure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-00-Oakbucks-Collectible-Coin-NOT-G-Coin-or-Numbered_W0QQitemZ180262981943QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3455QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Jake - Team A.I.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElliPirelli wrote:
This time it's FSM at it again...

During the night, it is 7.40 am over here, a mail came in of a new topic over in the Big Blue.

FSM closed the thread, as no non trackables are allowed to be discussed.
How ridiculous is that, they just wanted to highlight the stupidity of eBay customers...

he Finding Irish 4 has just posted a new topic entitled "Well I Guess There is One Born Every Minute" in forum "Geocoin Discussions".

You just need to check this Geocoin salr out for yourself :unsure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-00-Oakbucks-Collectible-Coin-NOT-G-Coin-or-Numbered_W0QQitemZ180262981943QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3455QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

It still says in the guidelines that discussion of non-trackables is permitted as long as the coin is trade only. Has that policy changed and not been updated in the guidelines posted at the top of the forums?
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a sales link to eBay, so technically FSM is right.

But this was just for a laugh, I think, not to promote a sale of a coin.

How stupid is it anyway, to bid over $9 +postage for an oakbuck valid till Dec08?
That's hillarious.
And a reason, why I very rarely frequet the eBay pages...

Some people have more money than sense and just deserve to be screwed... Rolling Eyes
Tooey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is just a ploy to drive people to the online shop where this is for sale, there are currently 88 coins listed with some very high 'buy it now' price tags. Had any of the trackable coins been posted about there would not be nearly as much interest in this post.

It is interesting to see the lengths people are going to in an attempt to make a sale, the economic climate is very uncertain at the moment, I don't think geocoins can be viewed as an investment - but it is good news for the serious collectors, there are plenty of coins available at very reasonable prices at the moment.

I haven't looked in on ebay either for some time, but I think it might be worth a look now again just to see if there is anything for sale that I might like there doesn't appear to be the same level of interest. The number of coins for auction are down by about a third. Sellers will get tired of listing coins that do not sell, and a lot of coins that are selling are barely making their original purchase price except for the rarer coins.
paganfrog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do think there are fair too many coins being churned out on a regular basis and that is one of the reasons that is going to destroy the enjoyment of geocoins.
the diversity of geocoins means that they can have many meanings ranging from the geocaching hobby and all the events involved, right through to the personal meanings for a personal coin designed by an individual, but its getting beyond a joke when you keep seeing coins being churned out like every few weeks that are neither geo related or are personal coins. these coins wouldnt look out of place being sold in a supermarket toot bucket. yes some of these are pretty but are too generic and overproduced.

sorry if i offend anyone but im cranky and unwell at them moment and will say exactly what i am thinking.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paganfrog wrote:
i do think there are fair too many coins being churned out on a regular basis and that is one of the reasons that is going to destroy the enjoyment of geocoins.
the diversity of geocoins means that they can have many meanings ranging from the geocaching hobby and all the events involved, right through to the personal meanings for a personal coin designed by an individual, but its getting beyond a joke when you keep seeing coins being churned out like every few weeks that are neither geo related or are personal coins. these coins wouldnt look out of place being sold in a supermarket toot bucket. yes some of these are pretty but are too generic and overproduced.

sorry if i offend anyone but im cranky and unwell at them moment and will say exactly what i am thinking.

Hey, that's what this forum is for Wink
57Chevy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW.. I agree that there are so many new coins coming out, it is overwhelming at times. Many of them aren't quite my cup of tea. BUT... I do respect the fact that someone put what they consider a lot of effort into the design and production of it, and it's their baby. If I don't like the coin I won't buy it. It's just that easy. No need to talk smack about something someone put a lot of effort into.
Here's a peeve of mine.. People saying coins aren't geocaching related, when right there on the coin is a Tracking number.... once it has that number.. it's a geocoin. Regardless of the design, regardless of personal taste. It's a coin that a geocacher put out, and reflects their life, love or hobbies. Even if it is a non trackable, if it's something a geocacher produced to put into a cache... IMO it's a geocoin. Just because someone in big blue deems something a "NON GEOCOIN" doesn't make it so. And to me the more personal the coin is the better, some of my favorite coins have nothing to do with caching. The diversity of people involved in the geocoin community pretty much guarantees something new is always going to be around the corner, good, bad or otherwise.

Back on topic though.. I rarely if ever agree with FSM but in this case I would have to, it was a sale of a non trackable coin and that isn't kosher in big blue. Wasn't much technical about it.
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57Chevy wrote:
Back on topic though.. I rarely if ever agree with FSM but in this case I would have to, it was a sale of a non trackable coin and that isn't kosher in big blue. Wasn't much technical about it.

wow, i have to agree with this closure also. see, we all can be reasonable people.

rsg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Tall Latte 2 Shots To Go All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse