Oak Island Geocoin www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Oak Island Geocoin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Oak Island Geocoin Reply with quote

I got the first artwork back from the mint for my new coin! I'm really excited about this as it highlights a bit of lore from my home province.

The Oak Island geocoin celebrates Nova Scotia's original mystery cache. 213 years of DNFs and counting!

In 1795, 16-year-old Daniel McGinnis discovered a circular depression in a clearing on the southeastern end of the island with an adjacent tree which had a tackle block on one of its overhanging branches. McGinnis, with the help of friends, excavated the depression and discovered a layer of flagstones a few feet below. As they dug down they discovered layers of logs at about every ten feet. They abandoned the excavation at 30 feet.

For 213 years treasure hunters have sought to unravel the secret of the pit. Floods, booby traps, deaths and mysterious inscriptions have fueled speculation over what riches might be hidden here, and who might have hidden it. Even President Franklin Roosevelt became part of an exploration group, and kept up with news and developments for most of his life.

Theories about who created the money pit are just about as plentiful as the groups who have tried to find it. Some say it holds the pirate treasure of Henry "Long Ben" Every, Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, or even William "Captain" Kidd. Others believe it is naval treasure hidden by Spanish sailors, or by British troops during the American revolution. Some say it was constructed by French army engineers to hold the treasury of Fortress Louisbourg during the French and Indian War.

Still more fanciful theories say it contains the lost jewels of Marie Antoinette; proof that Francis Bacon penned all the plays of William Shakespeare; or even the final hiding place constructed by exiled Knights Templar for the Holy Grail.

So, without further ado, here is the first draft artwork from the mint:

Coin specs:
Diameter: 45 mm (1.75")
Thickness: 4 mm
Front: 2d multilayer artwork with translucent hard enamel
Back: 3d artwork and hard enamel
Edge: recessed artwork and engraved tracking number
Finishes: TBD but likely antique finishes
Trackable: Yes
Icon: Yes
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks sweet! Very Happy
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great coin. Was really interested in the history behind the story Hopefully the coin will help other discover this great little mystery.
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already revisions on the artwork. Very Happy

Much better representation of the 3d section, including a caption describing what the heck it is. Fixed some problems with the flags. A few other things...

Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo.... do I have to decipher the text going around the outer edge of the coin myself or are ya going to tell us what it says? Wink Razz

CF30
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anybody knows for certain what they mean Laughing The jolly rodgers look MUCH better!
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can decipher the outer ring there are 213 years of treasure hunters waiting to talk to you.
geocachingdragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the coin have track at geocaching.com on it somewhere i didnt think they could get approved with out it ??
Tooey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is on the back of the coin, to the left of the shed roof - my pardon if that is totally the wrong description.

Have really enjoyed seeing this design develop and just goes to show how it helps to work with another designer.

Looking forward to seeing these.
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code was supposedly inscribed on a stone found in 1803, buried 90 feet down the money pit shaft. The stone was believed to be two feet long and 15 inches wide, weighing approximately 175 lb.

Since that time, it has been said that the inscription on the stone read,“forty feet below two million pounds are buried,” as translated by James Leitchi, a professor of languages at Dalhousie University. Some researchers have questioned this translation, as Mr. Leitchi was involved in a treasure hunting company trying to sell stocks.

Today, the actual stone is lost. It was used as a hearthstone in two homes on Oak Island, but it was moved to a Halifax store front where it went missing when the building was torn down.

Recently, another Oak Island enthusiast has claimed to have uncovered a completely different meaning to the symbols and suspects that the 'Money Pit' was only meant to conceal this stone and its code. He claims that the REAL treasure is on nearby Birch Island and that the code describes how to find the underground shafts which lead beneath the waters of Mahone Bay to the neighbouring island.

FYI, the flags on the reverse represent (from left to right):

- pirate William "Captain" Kidd (he didn't have his own flag, so I used the Jolly Roger)
- the 'France Modern' -- the flag of France's colonial empire circa 1760
- the Knights Templar banner
- the Cross of Burgundy -- the flag of Spain's Viceroyalties in the New World circa 1701
- pirate Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
- the Union Jack -- the flag of Great Britain up until 1801 (missing is the cross of St Patrick)
- pirate Henry "Long Ben" Avery
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final artwork has been approved, but I don't think it was in time to get this coin done before the mint shuts down for Chinese New Year. It will likely be mid February before I get this coin.

fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeet!! Very Happy
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coins are in!

They can be purchased at http://3geeks.ca. Don't be scared off by the prices -- they're in Canadian dollars Very Happy

I haven't had a chance to see them yet. They were unveiled at an event last night, but unfortunately I have the flu and couldn't attend.

The finishes are: gold (75 coins), copper (75 coins), nickel (85 coins). My AE edition is antique bronze (15 coins).
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my artist edition coins:

Antique Bronze:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse