novel idea for coins www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

novel idea for coins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinness70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: novel idea for coins Reply with quote

coins that cost less then $10.00
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think now that GS has changed its policy to where you can get a custom icon for 50 coins, the price of coins is only going to go up.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a lot of coins that sell for under $10 that are actually pretty technical and even costly to make. You just have to shop around a bit.
Guinness70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am talking about buying a single coin for less then $10
not so much having one made, im sure most cost less then that to make.

cheaper coins would mean more in caches
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own coin sells for $9 Canadian (don't know what the exchange is).

My latest coin produced and sold by 3geeks, however, sells for $12 Canadian. Their cost per coin was $9! When you factor in paypal fees and my AE coins, they're barely making any money on this one. But I'm sure that is still under $10 US.
tsunrisebey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness70 wrote:
i am talking about buying a single coin for less then $10
not so much having one made, im sure most cost less then that to make.

cheaper coins would mean more in caches

Well that would mean more micros versus the larger coins if you want under $10.

All but 1 of my coins was sold for under $10 but that doesn't guarantee that coins will go into caches.

Another suggestion might be; have you considered designing and funding a coin? YOu could sell yours for under $10 and then convince the buying public to release them into caches Very Happy

On another note what has always bothered me about statements concerning prices of geocoins (other than some that are outrageously priced). Is that so many people think vendors and people selling coins are making a killing. I work full time because geocoins won't pay for my health insurance or my mortgage.

I can tell you that vendors pay alot of fees that the majority of people don't even think about. It all adds up, for example;

* Having a website hosted and I'm talking hosted by a dedicated server, not the mass hosting sites. *Maintenance of appx. no less than $85.00 an hour when you need any sort of tech help unless your a tech guru yourself (and I'm not). *Paypal- a minimum of webpayments pro is $30 a month, more per month if you upgrade beyond that. * Paypal fees associated with accepting payments. * Shipping supplies; envelopes, paper for shipping labels, printer ink, heck even having a decent printer, coinvelopes, gas to and from the post office. * Internet connection, I'm forced to pay a high price for wireless because I don't have access to anything else. *Employees, many vendors have people who work for them -I don't I can't afford it. * Graphic artist fees* Then the coins themselves; tracking numbers, icons, wire transfer fees, customs fees, size, colors, shaped, enamels...etc. *Request for donations for events, contests, and freebies given by vendors in their packages. The point I'm making is this is the majority of what goes into the cost and I didn't even include the pay back for time invested in having to do all the work if you're a 1 / 2 person show.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if this was some sort of a get rich scheme, everyone would be doing it. If it was that cheap to produce coins, more people would be doing it.

Heck I think some of the coin prices I've seen are too low for the artwork and time that went into the designs. If these were offered in other formats such as jewelry or real coins (non caching related), they'd command higher prices. I think geocoiners actually have it pretty darned good when it comes to prices.

I'm not chewing ya out or anything, I'm just saying; here is what goes into the process that probably isn't thought about about on a larger scale. Vendors and designers definitely deserve to make some money on the coins they sell. I have to spread the profits of 1 coin design out usually over 3 months because I can't afford to produce more than 1 at a time or at least on a large scale.

Ok, there is my 2 geocents worth.

tsun
RedShoesGirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunrisebey wrote:

Heck I think some of the coin prices I've seen are too low for the artwork and time that went into the designs. If these were offered in other formats such as jewelry or real coins (non caching related), they'd command higher prices. I think geocoiners actually have it pretty darned good when it comes to prices....
tsun

have to agree with you here! i checked out the new discover australia coins that are linked from - somewhere. awesome and wow! expensive!!!!

rsg
Tooey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with Tsun more either, but RSG I don't think comparison with Perth Mint coins Discover Australia series is a fair comparison - they are minted in precious metals, Platinum, Gold and Silver - take a look at their base metal coins - they start at $9.05 AUS equivalent at todays exchange rate to $5.80 US. The quality is far superior to most Geocoins I have ever seen.

If folk really want to complain about prices, then the real rip off is travel bugs - what do you suppose it costs to produce those little tags ?

Most coins represent excellent value for money.
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Geocoin store. They have lots of coins for $8. I saw a couple for $7 and one for $5.

Over at Geoswag, everything I saw was under $10.

USA coins also has several under $10.
geo.error

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guinness70

I think there are 2 kind of coins.

Very very very beautiful ones. [you remember the one is discovered from you] and coins who are made many from or are simple designs.

The Simple Coin are often under 10 dollar.

The beautiful ones are above 10 dollar.

Most coins by the nl geocoin shop en de german geocoin shop are +/- 8.50 euro.

I buy the simple and most made coins to set free into the world and then send a quardian angel with them to protect them. [lol]

I never dare to set a geocoin free from the best coin designers that why i don't buy them.

mmmmmm..i set a coin from tsun free..the lilypad and the breath of life geocoin.
Thses were coins gifted to me and i wanted to share this gift with the whole world.
So i set them free.

Every time i get a log of them , i am happy.

btw Guinness70 welcome in this forum.

groetjes
Guinness70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ofcourse, ill spend $1500 so i can have 150 of the same coins < $10.00
you say : sell a bunch to make money to break even. same story...no longer selling at $10.00

not about money?
ah what the hell, as long as you have buyers there will be sellers, not like im gonna change that.

enjoy the game your way Wink
BVnLJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez...mine were $12.52 a piece to mint, then I had to buy big flips because mint didn't have ones big enough for them. Then of course I had to have the satin bags and stork feathers to complete the whole package I was trying to make.
That's with no icon either, the rule hadn't been changed yet.

I have to agree with MJ...it's going to drive up the cost of coins that are minted in low numbers....there's not another alternative other than the penny sign : )
Castle Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooey wrote:
I couldn't agree with Tsun more either, but RSG I don't think comparison with Perth Mint coins Discover Australia series is a fair comparison - they are minted in precious metals, Platinum, Gold and Silver - take a look at their base metal coins - they start at $9.05 AUS equivalent at todays exchange rate to $5.80 US. The quality is far superior to most Geocoins I have ever seen.

If folk really want to complain about prices, then the real rip off is travel bugs - what do you suppose it costs to produce those little tags ?

Most coins represent excellent value for money.

Travel bugs cost $0.25 each for a bulk order of 1000. So we know that when groundspeak orders their bugs at 25,000 units they are getting them for about $0.18 each. The cheapest you can get them from groundspeak is $4.25 each for 8 or more. BIG profit there.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunrisebey wrote:

...I can tell you that vendors pay alot of fees that the majority of people don't even think about. It all adds up, for example;

* Graphic artist fees*
Heck I think some of the coin prices I've seen are too low for the artwork and time that went into the designs. If these were offered in other formats such as jewelry or real coins (non caching related), they'd command higher prices. I think geocoiners actually have it pretty darned good when it comes to prices.
tsun

You said a mouthful there!

I think people might be shocked to know that most of the current coin designers are working at far less than minimum wage when producing coins. At my freelance designer rates (and I'm priced extremely low for my field and level of expertise) the average coin would cost as much as $2000 or more for design alone before a coin was even submitted for blueprinting, much less the actual costs for construction, tracking, etc. We have a bunch of great people within the caching world who throw their hearts and dollars into their designs just for the pure joy of it. If we recouped a little bit to help pay for software and hardware along the way, we'd consider ourselves lucky. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm doing it for fun. Very Happy
Guinness70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an all metal coin is cheaper to produce then the same coin with colored enamels,
would that be a correct assumption?
i do like those all metal ones. been trying to get a claddagh scotland one... but apparently they are rather rare $$$

ive had an unexpected winning streak on ebay with low ball bids. didnt expect to win that many though Confused i never win otherwise. im guessing the usual buyers were on holidays Smile or still recovering from Saint paddy's LOL
so a few coins will actually be getting into caches.

nowadays the caching community is a lot bigger then 15years ago (im guessing) and the amount of unscrupulous, thieving scumbags is also increased, sadly enough

ild like to set more coins free, but im not going to drop $20 in a cache.
$15 (with p&p) is my limit. if i can get it below $10-12 i dont mind dropping it in a cache.
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some deals to be had out there:

Landsharkz:
- 2007 Newfoundland - $5 CDN
- BeaverDude 10 pack - $49 CDN

Geoswag
- Geo Snowball 3 pack - $14.98
- various Bumper Sticker coins - $5.97
- varous Flags - $5.97
- various Benchmark Micros - $4.97 (these are all-metal)
- Cache Movers 10 or more - $3.97 ea.

Coins and Pins
- Travel Slug - $3.64
- Travel Turtle - $3.64

Geocoin Store
- Trail Tested - $5.00
- FTF Craze - $5.00
- Can You See me Now? - $5.00

Hogwild Stuff
- Hogwild Famous Traveling Geocoin 10 pack - $42

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could be bothered to search for in at the first few sites on Groundspeak's approved vendor list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse