How do you display multi-layers? www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

How do you display multi-layers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: How do you display multi-layers? Reply with quote

I'm using multi-colored elevation charts to show height/depth, but have recently heard of people displaying each level of metal independently. How do you show it or make it understood?
The Moop Along

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that English? Laughing
DresselDragons

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow...I am having flashbacks to some of my geologic mapping classes. Shocked
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example...

I indicate by color which level is which. I also provide a side view that isn't shown here that again shows layers by color reference.
bassmig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of work! But looks like it will be one very nice coin!!
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already come and gone, but thanks! Smile
ATMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I guess you could "slice" the layers apart and show them as stand-alone aspects of the coin, but as long as the mint followed the instructions as shown by the colors, I'm not sure how much you want to mess with it.

It was a successful coin and turned out great.

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
007BigD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say YOU are the pro here Buddy!

I have wondered about this myself...So your thinkin:

Design one dimention of the coin in a layer, then another as another layer. When you are finished you would put them over each other and yor design would be displayed? kinda like a translucent background with underlying images and the main aspect of the coin over it.

or are you thinkin Design an aspect of your coin (such as a frog) then design the forest on another layer, then work on the boarder and any other images to put in place seperatly. Then shrink em or enlarge them to adapt to the coin design? ...I thought this was how coins were designed, till I got mine done. It was all one design.

I am no designer by any means, but id like to start tinkerin with my own ideas, without forkin over dough. I did do quite a few finishing touches on my own while dealing with the CAD artist...it worked well with my simple paint program.

I think you'd get th experience with our big forum, but maybe someone will pop in that can relate to exactly what you need.
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm not jumping in out of place here but since we are speaking about layers... Wink

What do people think about the effect on the Titanic coin - where the buried treasure sort of peeks through from underneath the enamel. How was that done I wonder?

I am working on ideas for various coins and on one of them there are stars and I'd love for them to appear from underneath like that but maybe even more a little pronounced....if possible.

I just thought it was a very interesting and seemingly new technique that could perhaps be expanded upon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For layering I just pick a different shade of the color with lighter being higher up ~ so if I happen to be designing in gray (for nickel or antique silver) I use 60% for recess, 40% for semi raised 20% for raised.

I keep track as separate colors and the mint seems to get it right 90% of the time.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

007BigD wrote:

I have wondered about this myself...So your thinkin:

Design one dimention of the coin in a layer, then another as another layer. When you are finished you would put them over each other and yor design would be displayed? kinda like a translucent background with underlying images and the main aspect of the coin over it.

or are you thinkin Design an aspect of your coin (such as a frog) then design the forest on another layer, then work on the boarder and any other images to put in place seperatly. Then shrink em or enlarge them to adapt to the coin design? ...I thought this was how coins were designed, till I got mine done. It was all one design.

I work in layers of course when using Photoshop, but I was really referring to how do you convey layers to the mint? I work on paper initially just to sketch out my ideas because it's so fast and sloppy which tends to mean more creative, too. Then I work on individual aspects by groups of layers. I work at about 3000x3000 or so and it gives me a little more flexibility to play with sizes. You could make the layers "smart layers" in PS, but I think it's a waste of time in the long run and few people have the processing horsepower to deal with it anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse