Designing Icons www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Designing Icons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Designing Icons Reply with quote

Well someone had to start it Laughing

A quick tip I shared with Yime last year that everyone could use to their advantage....

When designing an icon start with a 320x320 pixel pallete or workspace. Design your icon and make sure to keep line art between 5-8 pixel width minimum. Less is more so keep it bold and simple. The reason you want to start with 320x320 is because it's a nice general size to see your work and more importantly when you reduce your art to the final size the math is "perfect". By that I mean when a software resizes your product to the final 32x32 icon size it will take every 10x10 pixel block, average the color, and produce a single pixel. 320 divided by 10 is 32 or "perfect math". If you built your icon at say 400x400 and then resized it down you would have 1.25 reduction or more specifically you'd have one solid pixel and a one-quarter pixel blur/mix in every direction. So your reduction appears less sharp and clean. Try it at a couple sizes and you'll see what I mean. Cool
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That is very helpful. I think I'm going to try my hand at my first icon for a coin I did for friends of mine, and had no clue where to start!
JoenSue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Wow..great info ,,, Reply with quote

We have learned more in the "Design Talk" thread in 1 week than a year at GC....keep this great info flowing for us newbie "wanna make our fist coin" folks.. Very Happy
The Wolf Pack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised thank you so much for that tip Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse