Designers/Vendors who are great to work with www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Designers/Vendors who are great to work with
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Designers/Vendors who are great to work with Reply with quote

I'd like this thread to be about positive experiences in working with designers and vendors. Name names - tout their customer service - post pictures of your design process and final product. What was the best part about your experience in getting a coin produced?

Lets hear the good news! And in the process perhaps send a little more business to the folks who do a great job out there. Cool
Tooey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been trying to think of a coin design for what seemed liked forever, everytime I came up with an idea I went to search the Geocoin Tracking and Trading Gallery and always found it had already been done.

Then I did hit upon what I thought was an original idea that I liked and looked around for an image that I could work with. I sent my idea to Jim Canning at Castle Coins & Pins and after thrashing a few ideas around the final design was agreed upon.

From my original idea to coin in hand was something less than two months, the entire process was handled smoothly and professionally.

I would also add that whenever I buy coins from the Castle - they are the ones that have the furthest to travel (compared to any other vendors) and they are always the quickest to arrive.
-Eleanor-
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had much success with Rusty at Personal Geocoins. I've worked with him on more than one project, and I've been very happy every time.
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working with Paula and Jim at GeocoinDesign. I've provided the artwork, and they are working with the mint to get the project done. It has been a looong frustrating process, as the mint seems to be dragging its heels on getting the artwork finalized.

They periodically send Jim an email with no changes made, the wrong changes, backtracking to previous versions of rejected artwork. Jim was so frustrated that he shopped the design out to another mint and promised to honour the quote he had originally given me, even if the new mint came back with something higher.

This project has entered its fourth month. I hope the next email I get will have the final artwork and I can give the go ahead to make the dies. I really want to have these coins in hand by mid August at the latest.

It has been a week since I've heard from Jim or Paula. I hope the latest furor on the forums hasn't sent them into hiding! Sad
The Moop Along

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E&Cplus3 wrote:
I am currently working with Paula and Jim at GeocoinDesign. I've provided the artwork, and they are working with the mint to get the project done. It has been a looong frustrating process, as the mint seems to be dragging its heels on getting the artwork finalized.

They periodically send Jim an email with no changes made, the wrong changes, backtracking to previous versions of rejected artwork. Jim was so frustrated that he shopped the design out to another mint and promised to honour the quote he had originally given me, even if the new mint came back with something higher.

This project has entered its fourth month. I hope the next email I get will have the final artwork and I can give the go ahead to make the dies. I really want to have these coins in hand by mid August at the latest.

It has been a week since I've heard from Jim or Paula. I hope the latest furor on the forums hasn't sent them into hiding! Sad

I hate to ask this, but have you actually seen any of the correspondence between Geocoin Design and the mint? that seemed to be the heart of the matter in the forums. Lots of lip service, no customer service. Wink
The Moop Along

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Eleanor- wrote:
I have had much success with Rusty at Personal Geocoins. I've worked with him on more than one project, and I've been very happy every time.

Well yeah, Rusty is one of the top designers/minters to work with. His geocoinstore/geocoinclub connections allow him one of, if not the most competetive quoting structures, plus super speedy return time. he has several folks that can help with art, and always delivers winners for me. I'm in the process of minting my fourth and fifth coins with him right now Cool Never a bad word to say on any of it.
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moop Along wrote:

I hate to ask this, but have you actually seen any of the correspondence between Geocoin Design and the mint? that seemed to be the heart of the matter in the forums. Lots of lip service, no customer service. Wink

No, I've not seen the actual correspondence. But I have seen the changes to the artwork (with Chinese script on the bottom). I've also seen some of the notes he's sent back.
BRoKeNW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our very 1st personal coin we had sent detailed information with what we wanted to All About Coins. We did receive artwork back, but it was not anything like we had hoped and sent an e-mail back with the revisions we wanted made. They replied back that our design was too complex and never wrote back to the other e-mails we sent. We then sent our ideas to Jamie from MadHattersNeverland and although he agreed what we wanted was a bit complex he didn't shy down from the challenge. I've worked with Jamie three different times. Each time has been a very smooth process and he has always been very quick to make changes to our design (which were a lot).

My Seeking List

My Trader list
007BigD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I gotta agree~ Jamie at Madhattersneverland was just great!

He was so fast it'd make yourhead spin!!! Then when things were not just right every detailed change was done fast and right on the money!

Other than him, I have only used one other for the same design that I was not at all pleased with.

I would reccomend him to anyone looking to have a coin designed and he expected payment AFTER the design was done!...I have yet to get his XLE to him!!! Boy Im slackin on my Geo-homework! Embarassed
BRoKeNW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

007BigD wrote:
Yep, I gotta agree~ Jamie at Madhattersneverland was just great!

He was so fast it'd make yourhead spin!!! Then when things were not just right every detailed change was done fast and right on the money!

Other than him, I have only used one other for the same design that I was not at all pleased with.

I would reccomend him to anyone looking to have a coin designed and he expected payment AFTER the design was done!...I have yet to get his XLE to him!!! Boy Im slackin on my Geo-homework! Embarassed

Yes, Jamie's revisions came really quickly and were pretty much spot on. It's amazing what he can come up with when you just write down what you want. Also enjoy that he doesn't expect payment until you are completely 100% satisfied.

My Seeking List

My Trader list

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually work with Oakcoins, I have worked with every other major vendor and they are by far the most accommodating. (Not that I have had bad experiences with other vendors, quite the contrary). I tend to design my own coins so working with a rep who gets back to me in an orderly manner and keeps me informed is paramount.

It's sad that there are a few bad apples out there, but most of the vendors are honest and helpful.
TeamEccs21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were getting ready to make our first coin, we checked with quite a few of our friends in Migo. Every time the name that came up was Rusty at personalgeocoins. We pretty much new exactly what we wanted and had a picture ready for the front side, the back was all text. It took about 4 tries to get the picture translated to 3D and to get the font and spacing just right. Communication was very good throughout and from first email to coins in hand was about 3 months. If we get another coin minted Rusty will be where we start.
tadpole379

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to do with CinemaBoxers. I didn't want to post this in the big forum thread since my situation is a bit different than the main discussion. I think it was about December when CinemaBoxers announced that they would be offering minting services for people who wanted to have personal coins made. At the time I was a regular in their chat room and they seemed like nice people, so I decided to use them as my mint for my 2008 tadpole coin. I did all of the art myself so I did not need Paula's design services. I paid for 300 coins upfront, and sent the CBs my artwork in January. It is now July and I still do not have all of the coins that I paid for in January. There were delays in getting the blueprints finalized-that took weeks, and it really shouldn't have as the mint was given finished art. The samples had to be redone because they were done with soft enamel translucent when I specified Hard enamel translucent. And when I finally got the coins, there were 40 out of the 300 that had minting errors-missing enamel, holes in the enamel, a few were dented looking. I was hoping to sell coins when I first got them, and then trade the rest at Geowoodstock. I sold the coins I had that were good, and took photos of the bad ones and mailed them back to the CBs. It has been almost 3 months and I am still waiting for the remint coins to come in. The last email that I got from the CBs said that the shipping date was June 25th. On the 27th I emailed them asking if the coins actually shipped, since I didn't get any kind of tracking number, and I have not heard back from them, and I still don't have the coins. I had hoped to mint another version of the coin for trading at MWGB and GCF. I think it is too late now to get coins for MWGB. I didn't want to place a new order before getting the original one, and it has now been been 6 months since the original order was placed and I still don't have all those coins. Crying or Very sad
BRoKeNW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tadpole379 wrote:
This has to do with CinemaBoxers. I didn't want to post this in the big forum thread since my situation is a bit different than the main discussion. I think it was about December when CinemaBoxers announced that they would be offering minting services for people who wanted to have personal coins made. At the time I was a regular in their chat room and they seemed like nice people, so I decided to use them as my mint for my 2008 tadpole coin. I did all of the art myself so I did not need Paula's design services. I paid for 300 coins upfront, and sent the CBs my artwork in January. It is now July and I still do not have all of the coins that I paid for in January. There were delays in getting the blueprints finalized-that took weeks, and it really shouldn't have as the mint was given finished art. The samples had to be redone because they were done with soft enamel translucent when I specified Hard enamel translucent. And when I finally got the coins, there were 40 out of the 300 that had minting errors-missing enamel, holes in the enamel, a few were dented looking. I was hoping to sell coins when I first got them, and then trade the rest at Geowoodstock. I sold the coins I had that were good, and took photos of the bad ones and mailed them back to the CBs. It has been almost 3 months and I am still waiting for the remint coins to come in. The last email that I got from the CBs said that the shipping date was June 25th. On the 27th I emailed them asking if the coins actually shipped, since I didn't get any kind of tracking number, and I have not heard back from them, and I still don't have the coins. I had hoped to mint another version of the coin for trading at MWGB and GCF. I think it is too late now to get coins for MWGB. I didn't want to place a new order before getting the original one, and it has now been been 6 months since the original order was placed and I still don't have all those coins. Crying or Very sad

I can't believe you still have not received the coins that needed to be reminted. Although your coins are more detailed than mine and trackable, I got over 40 of mine reminted. They were done within 2 weeks from the date I submitted the remint request. I do hope that you get them soon!

My Seeking List

My Trader list
grodan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wanted my coin made I talked to a friend and they had their coin made from Rusty at Personalgeocoins and were very pleased with the whole process so I made my coin through Rusty too.
Very pleased also, quick service and he directly understood how I wanted the coin to look. Many thanks. He also helped me with my pathtag which looks like the grodancoin but with yellow background.

When I want to do my next coin and tag I will for sure send the question to him.

grodan Karin
Mousekakat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Oak Coins for my suncatchers and Castle Coins and Pins for my other coins and I have to say it's been wonderful working with both!

Naomi Smile
PengoFamily

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our personal coin we used Rusty at personalgeocoins. He was really great to work with. It was our first geocoin experience and we are very happy that we went with him. We found the cost to be really good. (We asked for quotes from 3 other vendors). And he responds to emails within a timely manner. I think we always got a response within 24-48 hours which I thought was really good.

For the other coins that I have had a hand in designing one was with HogWild Stuff and the rest have been with Oakcoins. I have developped a great working relationship with Oakcoins so I keep going back to them.
YemonYime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: YemonYime Design Reply with quote

Hi Everybody!

Glad to see this place pop up. I'd heard about it through a friend recently and figured I'd say hello.

Oh, and don't worry...this won't be a shameless plug for my design work. I don't have enough time to take on extra projects anymore. But I figured I'd at least talk about my philosophies as they relate to geocoins, and how the recent discussions on the GC Geocoin Board have opened up my own eyes to a fresh perspective.

Anyways, as I like to say: "I'm not a professional graphic designer. But I play one on GC." Wink

I pretty much started drawing and creating things for my own personal amusement. Geocoins really aren't all that different. For me, there's still nothing quite like the feeling of holding a hefty piece of metal in the palm of my hand...knowing that it's my thoughts and imaginations gone tangible. There's a few people who do this that have apparently lost that sentiment, and that's where things can get gritty in Geocoinia.

Anyways that's just me blabbering on about something I really like doing...but not as a full-blown business. Consider me one of those "artists" that sits on the park bench daydreaming until I get the urge to stretch out and get creative.

So, hello there "coinmatters commandos". Nice ta meetcha.

Yime
ATMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi YY!

I'm in the midst of designing next year's event coin. WHat I like especially about Jamie is that I feel free to put his design in Paint (the only program I have) and play with it: change lines, change colors, etc.

I wish I had a program to really play with a design...

edited to ask: Do the rest of you do the same sort of thing? Or do you just ask for this and that to be altered?

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
BVnLJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tooey! I didn't realize this place existed.

We just had a coin made with Georgia from The Caching Place and she was absolutely perfect to work with. I know this doesn't help much for giving a reference now that they sold the business, but they are training and staying on awhile to help the new owner "learn the ropes".

As a side note...
During the process of making my coin, Georgia asked me to get quotes from other vendors because she couldn't believe the amount of the quote from her mint. I had very prompt quotes from Oakcoins and Crake. I also had a very honest reply from Castleman stating that he never worked with the pewter process and he referred me on to another vendor.

hope my 2-cents helps
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVnLJ wrote:
he never worked with the pewter process and he referred me on to another vendor.

So are you the designer for "Our Angel Baby"? That's a beautiful coin and a moving tribute.

Anyway, I noticed that the "spun pewter process" was used. I'm just getting ready to choose the metals for my coins and I am intrigued by this. Can you (or anyone else) tell me more about it?

Thanks Very Happy
ATMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePetersTrio wrote:
BVnLJ wrote:
he never worked with the pewter process and he referred me on to another vendor.

So are you the designer for "Our Angel Baby"? That's a beautiful coin and a moving tribute.

Anyway, I noticed that the "spun pewter process" was used. I'm just getting ready to choose the metals for my coins and I am intrigued by this. Can you (or anyone else) tell me more about it?

Thanks Very Happy

This would be a great thread for the Questions and Answers section. I'd love to learn about it, too.

The purpose of life is a purposeful life.
BVnLJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the angel baby is ours.

In my vast ( Wink ) knowledge of spun pewter. The pewter is poured into the mold and then put on a machine that spins which allows the metal to fill all the details in the mold. There is also a zinc alloy process, which the pocket decoder was done in, that works the same way.
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ThePetersTrio"]
BVnLJ wrote:

Could someone post a pic of this coin? I can't find one in any of the "usual" places and I have not heard of this one before now. Thanks! Smile

CF30
ThePetersTrio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it listed on eBay. It's gorgeous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Design talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse