Do we need a coin? www.coinmatters.com
Your coin discussion place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Do we need a coin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usyoopers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No great artwork ideas here Crying or Very sad but we would be in to purchase a coin or 2 (or 3...you know how that goes!) Laughing
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATMouse wrote:

How about an upthrust (or open ) hand holding a geocoin that says "Semper Omnis Geocoins!" (Always All Geocoins!)

I you're looking for pithy latin phrases, how about :

Don't let the bastards wear you down.
Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Round up the usual suspects.
Conlige suspectos semper habitos.

To boldly go where no man has gone before.
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.

If you can read this, you have too much education.
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
MustangJoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
If there is enough interest I would front the funds to make this as long as we get enough people that are members here that want some. We can make it at cost and shipping. Just lemme know. A similar coin was produced for another chat area that is not used much anymore and we did the same thing.

That is such a nice offer.

If we could do personalized ones, I'd be glad to pay in advance for whatever set amount we would have to purchase?
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something along the lines of staying on track with or without codes? Keeping track of the conversation or staying on track in an OPEN forum. It should really state the case for why we're here to begin with. Cool
maldar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MustangJoni wrote:
Castle Man wrote:
If there is enough interest I would front the funds to make this as long as we get enough people that are members here that want some. We can make it at cost and shipping. Just lemme know. A similar coin was produced for another chat area that is not used much anymore and we did the same thing.

If we could do personalized ones, I'd be glad to pay in advance for whatever set amount we would have to purchase?

I would love to do that too.
Castle Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is easy to do them personalized, no extra cost. Just lemme know and then I can get some quotes. Who is taking charge of setting the art up, getting approvals (if trackable) and making lists and checking them twice? If you say Santa the deal is off.

maldar wrote:
MustangJoni wrote:
Castle Man wrote:

I would love to do that too.
Cheesy Pigs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Man wrote:
This is easy to do them personalized, no extra cost. Just lemme know and then I can get some quotes. Who is taking charge of setting the art up, getting approvals (if trackable) and making lists and checking them twice? If you say Santa the deal is off.

/me struggles with herself to not say 'Santa' Very Happy
maldar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesy Pigs wrote:
Castle Man wrote:

/me struggles with herself to not say 'Santa' Very Happy

I was thinking the same thing. Laughing
DresselDragons

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool to have them in time for GCF.
Crowesfeat30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still very unsure I will be going to GCF - in fact, probably not. We're going to MWGB and several close small events. I don't think I can talk the b/f into that one. It's a lot farther to drive to than Indiana is & flying this year is not in the budget, methinks.

However, a group coin for this forum would be fun! I would participate. Very Happy

CF30
Kismet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a boycott of that other forums coin... pick a date in the future, get the word out, get the coin out.

Twisted Evil
Tooey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the original poster taking this forward ?
Kismet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a group coin produced. No tracking though, make it cheap and plentiful.
fox-and-the-hound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for trackable, but we use a different provider. TravelerTags.com has full tracking for geocoins for only $1 each. It would tell GS that not only are making non-trackable, but trackable as well and sending our money to the competition for their obstinance. Cool
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox-and-the-hound wrote:
I vote for trackable, but we use a different provider. TravelerTags.com has full tracking for geocoins for only $1 each. It would tell GS that not only are making non-trackable, but trackable as well and sending our money to the competition for their obstinance. Cool

Would the coins still be trackable through geocaching.com, or would I have to log in on a different site?
For me, it would make it uninteresting. I'd vote for non trackable then.

But still I like the idea of a forum coin.

Regards, ElliPirelli
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can work up some modifications to the original artwork with the suggestions made. If other folks want to offer up designs, we could put it to a vote.

CastleMan has generously offered to front the capital to get the coins made, so we just need a front man.

If ya'll want that to be me, then bring it on! Very Happy I just want to let it be known that I have never organized a group coin before, so I'll be looking for advice -- probably often.

PS: I'd vote for a non-trackable, myself.
Kismet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is non trackable it will keep the cost down. It will also allow us to put whatever we want on the coin without getting "permission" from any entity.
TeamEccs21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in some of these coins if they ever get made.
I'll keep watching this thread.
Kismet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any artwork created yet? I would like to see this project started also!
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I did any work on this, but I decided to have another go at it today. Here's my reworked front for the coin.

I took the suggestion of having people around the edge instead of celtic knots and modified it. The heads of the people would be 'cutouts' from the outer edge of the coin, revealing the continued celtic swirl pattern.

I originally thought of repeating the design smaller and smaller in the middle, to represent all geocoins, but it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped:

I haven't decided if there SHOULD be anything in the middle, or just frame the intricate swirl detail. I picture this side filled with a translucent enamel. Any thoughts? Should it be left blank, or does it need anything in the middle.

I was thinking of a nice hefty coin: 1.75" x 4mm thick. If we can find a mint that does it, having the owner's forum name and the coin number etched on the edge would be classy. Something along the lines of:

0001 - E&Cplus3

or

0002 - Professor Grumbledor

Then we wouldn't have to worry about how many characters to allow etc (I don't think, anyway. Any vendors can clear this up please)

I don't imagine we would come close to minting a thousand coins, but if we do one every year, it would be nice to keep the numbers going, instead of starting at 1 every year. That way, if we ever do come up with a tracking mechanism of our own, the numbers are already unique.

I haven't done the artwork for the back yet, but here's my idea:

Around the outside it would say:

coinmatters.com - serving the geocoin community since July 2008

In the middle would be the Groundspeak icon split in half and a phoenix rising from it (I know, it should be ashes, not cracked. But I'd like it to be recognizable as the Groundspeak logo -- although altered enough so as not to get our a**es sued Smile )
ElliPirelli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my 2 cents:

Are we talking about a trackable?
I shouldn't think GS will allow the logo be manipulated that way.
And if we want to have it trackable, it has to be approved.

A heap of ash will be regogniszed by us, but maybe not so much offend them. I also noted, that most of our members post regularly over in the Big Blue, so it is more of a dual thing now. The toppics frowned upon over there are discussed here, the rest is still talked about there.

On the other hand, I'm not fond of tracking numbers on the edge, I would never send a coin out in the wild with a number on the edge. Most people have trouble logging ordinarily numbered coins, never mind reading the number on the edge. The chance of the coin not being recognized as a traveler is just to high.

But a coin advertising our coinmatters forum should travel to spread the word.

I do like those circle patterns and the cutout of silhouettes. Would look really nice filled with translucent enamel...

Regards, ElliPirelli
geo.error

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your design but i have also a big question who is going to buy this geocoin, we are now a very small forum, most coiners are back to the geocaching forum.

Maybe you can ask first ....who wants to buy this geocoin.

This coinmatters forum is sooo small , i bet all our names can on this geocoin.
Professor Grumbledor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey E&Cplus3 I am loving this design Very Happy

ElliPirelli - I really doubt that Groundspeak are going to approve this as a trackable coin - but ya never know, pigs may fly yet !

Geo.error my friend - If this coin is produced as a non-trackable then the minting numbers should not be a problem, by which I mean it is possible to get it produced in small numbers, the best advice will come from producers, Jim at Castle Coins & Pins has already very kindly offered to get a coin done at cost for members. He is currently still away on a big trip to Canada, I am sure he will add his comments here on his return.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Loving all those smiles you are spreading Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
DaFunkyFrogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't post much, but all ways check here 5 or 6 times a day.......we would be in for a couple of those coins....... Very Happy a smile for geo.error........ Very Happy Very Happy
E&Cplus3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking it would be trackable through Groundspeak.

1. We could keep the costs down (no icon fee, no tracking# fees).
2. They would never approve the design if it featured the Groundspeak logo in a negative light.
3. I'm not sure if they would approve the design if it had our URL on it.

But you did raise a very good point: most of our members are regulars on both sites -- I know I am. So we are not so much a phoenix rising from the ashes of an old site (which is still alive in kicking). We are more like another head on the hydra (or chimera, or Cerberus, or any other multi-headed beast Very Happy )

So, what should go on the reverse?

For those who want to release these coins to spread the word, how about if it was designed with a hole at the top where you could attach a TB chain? I realize that $4 for a TB is a lot more than $1.50 for a tracking number, but it avoids having to get the design approved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.coinmatters.com Forum Index -> Questions & Answers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Create your own free forum now!
Terms of Service Purchase Ad Removal Forum Archive Report Abuse